Only one day on antibiotics: How long do I wait?

GardenState38

Songster
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
Apr 13, 2011
Last weekend, my little banty was under the weather and I took her to an avian vet.
Turned out she had a slightly impacted crop, most likely, and it was resolved withn a day (thank goodness!)
Anyhow, he had given her a dose of antibiotics the first day, as a safeguard. Since it seemed that an infection wasn't the problem, we decided to stop them as soon as she was eating, prancing and clucking again.

She's fine now and has been laying an egg a day.
It's now been 8 days and I have all of these perfect little eggs that I hate to waste (I'll blow out some to use for crafts/decoration) and I hate to think that I have to wait another week.
The vet wasn't sure of how soon the eggs could be eaten, and, like me, figured about 14 days.
But since she was only on the drugs for one day, wouldn't it take less time for the antibiotics to leave her system?

Anyone know?

My vet recommends 14 days withdrawal too, but I'll bet you could round that down to a week for just one dose. But I also cheat and eat thse eggs myself since I can't bear to waste those perfect things. Don't tell anyone.

Thank you! Those were my thoughts, exactly...
I wouldn't feed them to anyone else but myself. What's the worse that could happen?
There are probably worse things in a fast food hamburger!
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom