Only one egg daily in a four hen flock

I still don't want them to breed. I don't want fertilized eggs period.

What do you mean about them not raising their own chicks though? And what does broody mean?
Get rid of the roo and you'll have less problems.

I would either introduce them together so they can live together
Like put him in with them? They were all raised together as one flock to begin with. Once he came of age to start breeding, he started freaking them out and pulling feathers. That's why I separated him. I tried keeping him away from the flock altogether, but they all went on a hunger strike.

Like put him in with them? They were all raised together as one flock to begin with. Once he came of age to start breeding, he started freaking them out and pulling feathers. That's why I separated him. I tried keeping him away from the flock altogether, but they all went on a hunger strike.
You should either let him live with them or get rid of him entirely. Quail don't like change, so there will be some changes to their behaviour, but the adjust within a week or two.

You should either let him live with them or get rid of him entirely. Quail don't like change, so there will be some changes to their behaviour, but the adjust within a week or two.
UPDATE (see here for recent developments):

So I actually had two roos, one flew away, and I got two more hens. Total flock numbers are 5 hens, 1 roo.

The first three hens - Hera, Athena, and Eris - are at least 10 weeks old, but only Athena is laying eggs resulting in a very slow 1 egg per day. The two noobies (Artemis and Venus) are both young, probably about 3 weeks old at this point, but I keep them separate from the rest of the flock using a divider in 2'×5' hutch (I noticed they had wounds on them, presumably from Jupiter trying to mate with them). I'm not so concerned about them yet, and I take the hutch divider out to give them free reign in the hutch when I let the others out into the aviary.

I keep them all in the hutch in the evening and let the adults out to play in the aviary during the day. I clean the hutch daily and feed and water them all once or twice per day, so they have food and water and a clean living space. The aviary has a few potted plants, a sand pile, a paver floor, and a branch I found fallen from a tree. They love to hide among the branch's leaves and behind the potted plants. There's also an old plastic sandbag which I filled with moss and dried plant stuff. Athena lays her egg in there sometimes, but no eggs from Eris or Hera yet. Any advice on encouraging Eris and Hera to lay?

Last edited:

So I actually had two roos, one flew away, and I got two more hens. Total flock numbers are 5 hens, 1 roo.

The first three hens - Hera, Athena, and Eris - are at least 10 weeks old, but only Athena is laying eggs resulting in a very slow 1 egg per day. The two noobies (Artemis and Venus) are both young, probably about 3 weeks old at this point, but I keep them separate from the rest of the flock using a divider in 2'×5' hutch (I noticed they had wounds on them, presumably from Jupiter trying to mate with them). I'm not so concerned about them yet, and I take the hutch divider out to give them free reign in the hutch when I let the others out into the aviary.

I keep them all in the hutch in the evening and let the adults out to play in the aviary during the day. I clean the hutch daily and feed and water them all once or twice per day, so they have food and water and a clean living space. The aviary has a few potted plants, a sand pile, a paver floor, and a branch I found fallen from a tree. They love to hide among the branch's leaves and behind the potted plants. There's also an old plastic sandbag which I filled with moss and dried plant stuff. Athena lays her egg in there sometimes, but no eggs from Eris or Hera yet. Any advice on encouraging Eris and Hera to lay?
Where is the general are you live?

Did you ever start giving them supplemental light? If you're in the northern hemisphere, the days are getting shorter, and they need at least 14 hours per day to lay regularly. That doesn't mean that there won't be exceptions. Last year I had one girl continue to lay every day all winter without supplemental light, but that was one hen out of about 30.

Introducing new covey members will also have disrupted their schedule, and if they were laying, you could expect up to a two week break. They don't like change.

Did you ever start giving them supplemental light? If you're in the northern hemisphere, the days are getting shorter, and they need at least 14 hours per day to lay regularly. That doesn't mean that there won't be exceptions. Last year I had one girl continue to lay every day all winter without supplemental light, but that was one hen out of about 30.

Introducing new covey members will also have disrupted their schedule, and if they were laying, you could expect up to a two week break. They don't like change.
Does the light have to be direct sunlight or do they merely need to be aware that it's daytime?

Back
Top Bottom