Only one egg daily in a four hen flock

HutchButch

Chirping
Jul 27, 2023
I've had my flock for about 8 weeks now and got them when they were a week old. I have four hens and a roo, and I keep the roo in the same hutch in a screened off area so he doesn't breed with the hens. They can all see each other and are eating well and have plenty of room.

For about two weeks now, I've been getting eggs, but only one at a time daily, usually in the evening around 8 or 9. If I have four hens of the same age, shouldn't they all be laying one egg per day? Should I make changes to their living quarters, or is it a matter of age?

I've had my flock for about 8 weeks now and got them when they were a week old. I have four hens and a roo, and I keep the roo in the same hutch in a screened off area so he doesn't breed with the hens. They can all see each other and are eating well and have plenty of room.

For about two weeks now, I've been getting eggs, but only one at a time daily, usually in the evening around 8 or 9. If I have four hens of the same age, shouldn't they all be laying one egg per day? Should I make changes to their living quarters, or is it a matter of age?
It all depends on the bird some will lay earlier than others I have a batch that my fisrt two out of it started laying at 7-8 weeks old the last two just started laying at 12 weeks old. My other ones all but one started laying at 5 and a half weeks old the last one started at 7 weeks old.

Not sure where you’re located, but in Northern hemisphere, daylight is waning, it’s fall. I turned off supplemental lighting for mine this year and I’m getting very few eggs the last few weeks.

I would not keep the one male by himself...it's probably stressfully for all of them with him being separated.

Can you post CLEAR pictures of each bird? Are you sure you have 4 females?

They're only nine weeks and one is already laying? Wow! I didn't know they could lay at two months. The others may take longer. Can you post pictures of them?
Coturnix quail usually start to lay at around 6 weeks, but it can take longer in fall or winter if they're not getting enough light.

took my girls 20 weeks to see a egg.
Was this during winter?

@HutchButch I would check two things. One, make sure they're getting at least 14 hours of light per day. Two, make sure that nothing is stressing them. Having your boy separated might be causing them some stress, but look for predators hanging around, or other issues.

Back
Top Bottom