Only one egg daily in a four hen flock

Does this include letting them out of the hutch? Should I merely feed and water them daily? How often should I clean the hutch? (it has a sand floor and I scoop it like cat litter).
Can you post a picture of your setup?

Can you post a picture of your setup?
I don't have any current pics, but here's a rough diagram. The tarp is over the hutch to keep the rain off so the wood won't decay or mold. The hutch itself is 5'×2' so this isn't exactly to scale, but it gives the idea. This aviary has high walls on each side, so direct sunlight shines straight into it for a few hours per day.
2023-10-11-12-54-21-824_1.jpg

Does the light have to be direct sunlight or do they merely need to be aware that it's daytime?
It doesn't have to be direct sunlight. You can use LEDs. Coturnix quail are very prolific layers, but are still technically seasonal layers that normally take a break during the winter. Giving them enough light to keep them laying year 'round will shorten their lives, but if eggs are your purpose, then they need the light. This makes them think that it's still spring/summer so they should be laying eggs.

It doesn't have to be direct sunlight. You can use LEDs. Coturnix quail are very prolific layers, but are still technically seasonal layers that normally take a break during the winter. Giving them enough light to keep them laying year 'round will shorten their lives, but if eggs are your purpose, then they need the light. This makes them think that it's still spring/summer so they should be laying eggs.
So, what are the logistics of this? Should I hang warm LED lights in the ceiling of their hutch?

So, what are the logistics of this? Should I hang warm LED lights in the ceiling of their hutch?
That works, or you can hang them just outside of their hutch.

Okay, so when should I have them on?
Either morning or evening. You want it to remain light somewhere in the 6 AM to 9 PM range, but as long as you're reasonably consistent, you can make it fit your schedule.
Won't this interrupt their sleep cycle, though?
You want to extend their day. They should still get 8 hours of darkness each night so they can sleep.
Also, could letting them out of the hutch every day be too much of a shock to the two non-layers?
It might in the short term, but if you're doing it every day, it will eventually become normal for them.

Back
Top Bottom