only one egg

caroline02

In the Brooder
11 Years
Dec 20, 2008
Hi all. Yay! I got my first egg 4 days ago.....and sadly, nothing since. Is this normal? Is there normally a gap in between laying when they have just started to lay?

It's OK. Often the first eggs will be scattered. Give her a while.

ETA: Congrats on your first egg! many will follow, just like Easter/Christmas every day!

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the reassurance. might go out and check around under the bushes for eggs now incase they have decided to not share.

I was going to ask, where are you located? It has been real cold here. My pullets started and then stopped. But recently started back up again.

It also depends on the breed, in my opinion. What do you have?

I am in New Zealand where it is Summer. The breeds are very scattered. But, the crosses go something like this.....aracuana/white sussex, bantom/sussex, white leghorn/. Yeah, sorry about being vague but my daughters know more about breeds than myself. However, just half an hour ago, upon my last chooky check. I discovered 3 eggs!!!! Wow. They must have esp. So exciting. Now I just need to discover who the layers are......
Thanks everyone for your help

Sounds very normal to me, there systems are "getting use to it" and there could be gaps in the laying !! Within a few weeks they should have it down good !!

CONGRATS on the first egg !!!!

I'g go on an egg hunt, too. It's very possible she's laying anywhere she feels like. You might want to lock her in the coop for a few days to ensure she gets into a habit.

What breed is she? Some breeds lay more often than others, too.

Back
Top Bottom