Only One Survived... Until This Morning

Yes. I'm in California. It's def not cold! It's 90 today.

I know it's no one's fault. I think they would have been ok if they had arrived on time. They were delayed a day. But I will probably never order from outside CA again. Too sad opening a box of dead babies - especially after months of anticipation.
Are you in Sacramento? Their calculator seems to indicate that you can order three .. if not 4 chicks. I would push them a bit and see if they will ship your three missing chicks to you. Overnight or Next Day if need be.

I got Super Blues and I was disappointed with the color of the egg. A very pale, washed out blue. Almost white unless you put it next to a white egg. Cream Legbars and Ameracaunas have a much darker blue. And the Ameracaunas have the better blue of those two.

Yeah, I did some googling and learned its the blue of an Easter egger with the higher production of a legbar- kind of misleading title for the hybrid. I can't wait to see what color my Ameraucana and EE pullets produce!

Here they are. I'm carrying them in the hood of an old hoodie.
View attachment 1811966

Not sure about names for the other two. I'm thinking Violet for the black chick and Picotee for the silver (Picotee is when flowers' petals are laced, so it seems appropriate even though it's unusual for a name).
OH MY GOD I AM GOING TO DIE OF CUTENESS OVERLOAD!!! :love :jumpy :love :jumpy :love
Congrats on your little trio of adorable featherkids!

Are you in Sacramento? Their calculator seems to indicate that you can order three .. if not 4 chicks. I would push them a bit and see if they will ship your three missing chicks to you. Overnight or Next Day if need be.
It may be that these are the counts for standard chicks. Bantams are smaller and hatcheries usually require people to order more at once than standard birds.

Last edited:
I shouldn't have ordered chicks from so far away. I still have the 2 from the feed store, but, my luck, they're both boys. I don't know how y'all go through this and still manage. I'm a wreck.

I'm doing the best I can because I have to go to work soon and act like everything is fine.

The others seem ok, but they are not as active as my chicks usually are. I have a DIY MHP, which they like. But I haven't seen them eat or drink much. I don't want to overreact to Thistle's death and "over care" for them, but I am tempted to give them food and water via syringe.

Back
Top Bottom