Only urate poop

Yes, amoxicillin is a good broad spectrum antibiotic, but if the bacteria is a particular type and is one of the more stubborn ones, a more targeted antibiotic would probably work better. That's why, after struggling with these sores for so long, it would be extremely helpful to know more about the bacteria you are dealing with.

Different bacteria have cell walls or none, and some antibiotics are better at penetrating strong cell walls or getting around the evasive tactics of a bacterium without cell walls, which can sometimes be more of a challenge.

Ask your vet if you can take a swab at home and bring the sample in so they can send it to a lab for a gram stain test. That will go a long way toward knowing if it's a gram positive bacterium or gram negative. That has to do with the existence or absence of cell walls. Further tests could possibly tell us the name of the bacterium, but just knowing if it has cell walls or not can help us choose the best antibiotic to kill it.

I will definitely look into that. I wouldn’t mind trying amoxicillin first and then seeing if I need to go with my vet.

Is it 250 mg once a day for 10 days? And what should I mix it in? I usually do yogurt but wouldnt the probiotics in yogurt weaken the amoxicillin?

It's the calcium in the yogurt that would weaken the amoxy. They shouldn't be given in tandem.

If the amoxy is not in pill form, put it on a tiny piece of bread. If it's in pill form, stick the entire 250mg pill into her beak. Yes, ten days.

It is in pill form but wouldn’t it get stuck in her throat? Like the saliva would cause it to get stuck?

Ok, that’s great to know.

So I looked it up and I see that there is different dosing for amoxicillin. Is there a reason why some say 57 mg twice a day instead of 250 mg once a day? Since Dev is 6.3 lbs that would be about 350 mg twice a day which is a big difference.

I arrive at all of my antibiotic doses by calculating for the average size chicken, five pounds. 250mg per day, whether you wish to divide the dose up and give it at intervals is strictly a personal choice by the care giver. I do the once a day dosage unless the antibiotic specifies it must be given twice a day such as Tylan 50 and Miconazole yeast med do.

Even though Dev is heavier than average, she's also aging. I don't know if one cancels out the other, but I would just give her the 250mg and see how it goes.

Ok, that’s what I have been doing.

Now back to Eddie 😂 so I think she needs a break from the fiber. Her poops are frequent but not good quality. I will attach her most recent, and worst, poop from this whole time. Do you think the fiber is causing these poops?

Attachments

• 58938A17-CB35-4B7C-B5A8-21B590F8D1D2.jpeg
    58938A17-CB35-4B7C-B5A8-21B590F8D1D2.jpeg
    690.3 KB · Views: 1
So this is more urgent. I won’t be here tomorrow or the next day. Eddie just had this poop. And she even pooped out a whole mealworm.
Is it the fiber? Is it pushing food through her body too quickly? This is not good.

Attachments

• 5A3275C4-5972-4B24-8568-1A783F61A7D9.jpeg
    5A3275C4-5972-4B24-8568-1A783F61A7D9.jpeg
    623.1 KB · Views: 1
And a worse poop. Just liquid. @azygous @Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive

She has been getting a capsule and a half of the meta mucil. The vet said she should get a 1/2 tsp once or twice a day so she has not been getting as much as the vet recommended. Could it just be the fiber? Because she is having these poops frequently.

Attachments

• 75E3476F-6B50-49B7-B135-DCFFA61AF892.jpeg
    75E3476F-6B50-49B7-B135-DCFFA61AF892.jpeg
    644 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom