Oops - chickens in the house! Your stories?

hoorayfortulips

Chirping
11 Years
Apr 24, 2012
PNW
It was bound to happen. The kids left the back door open, and we were all outside today. Then we heard, "Mom! Daaaad! The chickens are IN THE HOUSE!" With visions of a mountain of poop on the rug and clouds of stuffing pecked out of the couch cushions, we ran.

Luckily, our freshly dust-bathed girls didn't get very far and only left us a nice trail of dust on the floor. Whew!

What sort of trouble have your chickens managed to get into inside your house?

I have three chickens that come and go in the house as they please. Frack, the oldest, is housebroken and hasn't left any "surprises" on the floor in five years. She and Blackie come in daily to lay their eggs. Little Jiffy, the younger one, is blind in one eye and doesn't seem to see well in the other, so we let her in often to give her extra treats and sometimes just to get away from the gang so they won't pick on her. They are pretty good at holding it until they go back outside, although Jiffy has had a couple of accidents.

Frack and Blackie have their own place to lay.

Frack used to go upstairs to lay her egg in our bed, but after tumbling down the 14 stairs, we came up with a place for her to lay downstairs.

Jiffy Pop helping build my new desk.

Blackie loves my office chair.

I remember reading this story about your girls before and I am just in awe... That is the sweetest thing in the world.
love.gif

My fluffy butts at least nock at the garage door.

But that's only if I dont answer the back door.

Or leave it open by mistake... OOPS!

And they always want to stay for dinner.

Until they realize it's Kentucky Fried CHicken!!!

And then MayMay will get really mad at me.

But when one is sick they get the special treatment.

Hey MOMMA!!!!!!!!!! we are HOMMMMEEEE!!!!!!!!

Usually, they get a bath before they come to dinner. Like any good child they must wash their hands before dinner!!!!

and behave or they are fried chicken!!!!!

Daytona likes chicken soup. "if i see any carrots or celery I am OUTTA here!"

I have not taught them good table manners yet though...

Aw geez! LOL Our doors at the old place are left open in summer too. I've had chickens and turkeys both in the house. Sometimes little gifts, sometimes a plant knocked over, or the cat food raided. Once they knew where the cat food was, we ever knew where to look first!

Our cat, however, is terrified of them. Thats another story in itself.

My favorite little girl, a Porcelain d'Uccle hen, always tries to sneak in the house behind me. :rolleyes:

The worst story though was when my grandparents and aunt stopped by. I had just fed the chickens, and all the feed is in the "dog room". It's basically a room of the side of the house where our dogs are most of the time, because the house is too narrow for two big dogs wagging their tails all over the place. There's a door on the far side that goes outside, and a glass door to our living room. Anyways, I had spilled a little food in there, and I just let one of my Speckled Sussex come in to clean it up. I had intended on leaving her in just while I filled the feeder and gathered eggs, but while I was putting eggs in the fridge my g-parents and aunt (who is terrified of chickens, and my g-parents aren't crazy about them either...) showed up. I totally forgot about my Sussex! So we were sitting in the living room talking, and I saw my girl just standing in front of the door looking straight at me. I didn't want to freak my aunt out, or make my g-parents think I'm any crazier about my chickens than they already do, so I just shot her a dirty look and went on talking. Then she started pecking the door, but no one noticed! But after about 5 minutes she started yelling at me and wouldn't shut up. I think I was the only one that realized it wasn't coming from outside though, so I just excused myself because "I forgot to feed the cat and he's probably very hungry". Then I went in the dog room and let her right out. To my amazement, all three dogs were in there and so was the cat and they hadn't bothered her at all! I'm so glad no one noticed because they already think the only people who would have chickens are rednecks and not to mention let them in the house...

Marty - Somehow my dog managed to become afraid of the chickens too. She's a 50 lb dog and not exactly shy about chasing down other animals. When the chicks were new, I let her come and meet them under very close supervision. As she leaned in for a closer sniff, the chick in my had flapped and squawked awfully loud, and the dog hasn't wanted to be near them since.

Ms. Bagawk - I'm laughing just thinking about your chicken staring you down. How very nice that your dogs, cat and chicken were able to hang out together and not blow your cover as a redneck - or a hippy (as my friends and family might say).
lol.png

I walked in the house for just a moment, was going to grab something and head right back out, I turned around and this is what I see:

They must have been right on my heels. I took a couple pics, and shooed them out. If you look to the far right, you see part of my Wyandotte hen.

I don't know if this counts - but I get 2 pigeons in the house sometimes.

I rescued and had raised some newly hatched pigeon chicks that were dumped in a plastic bag on the city street.

The made it, and grew into healthy youngsters. But they were very demanding when they wanted food! After I released them they stayed around my house, with my chickens and doves to learn from. But they always wanted to be back with me. IF they saw any movement in the house they would fly at the windows, and cling to the fly screens, flapping and squeaking to get in!

It used to shock any visitors - it was like something from a horror movie. If anyone left a door open by mistake I would find the pigeons sitting on the back of the sofa watching TV!

When I knew they were eating on their own fine, I took them to a Buddhist Temple in my village (where there is a small flock of pigeons that the monks feed each day). My pigeons love it there, but they will come home at 5pm each night for a few seeds and a fuss, then fly back to the temple! I like to joke that they have become novice monks there!

The last few weeks they come back to my house less and less, and this week one has only come back 2 times. I am glad they are getting a life of their own now.

I have three chickens that come and go in the house as they please. Frack, the oldest, is housebroken and hasn't left any "surprises" on the floor in five years. She and Blackie come in daily to lay their eggs. Little Jiffy, the younger one, is blind in one eye and doesn't seem to see well in the other, so we let her in often to give her extra treats and sometimes just to get away from the gang so they won't pick on her. They are pretty good at holding it until they go back outside, although Jiffy has had a couple of accidents.

Frack and Blackie have their own place to lay.

Frack used to go upstairs to lay her egg in our bed, but after tumbling down the 14 stairs, we came up with a place for her to lay downstairs.

Jiffy Pop helping build my new desk.

Blackie loves my office chair.

Bah hahah!! It occurred to me after I posted this thread, that many of you might actually encourage chickens in your house. Mine are strictly outside creatures, but I cannot stop laughing at the hairbrush picture! Sjisty and Fishnet - you guys have given me a whole new way to look at this topic!
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom