Opal Blackshoulder chicks

peacock

Chirping
8 Years
Oct 18, 2011
Belgium
My Coop
My Coop
Can someone please post a picture or more of young male opal blackshoulders, i have one but am not sure he's opal blackshoulder, he's very light gray, pity my camera has broken, otherwise i would put a pic on myself,

Greetz,

Peacock

Mmmaddie13 here on BYC bought a trio of Opal b/s chicks from me,all hatched in late May and she promised days ago to post some new pics of them,so maybe she will see this and get some for you.My Opal b/s Peacock is 3 1/2 yrs old and your wanting pics of a young one,so I cannot help but Opals resemble Silver pieds in coloring somewhat

Thanks for the pics, i will put some of my male on, he's completely different, hope i have my new camera soon,

Peacock

I'm sure he's male, will try to get some pics on here, he's five months old ans the same colour as some ivory hens, i bred him myself out of my opal breeders,

greetz,

Peacock

Sounds good, I'll be
caf.gif

Peacock,,just learned from a much more experienced breeder that we think one of my Opal B/S hens is either split to Opal and is really an IB/BS hen or is an IB B/S hen,,also the first two pics of what Maddie thinks is hens is now thought to be males that are indeed Opal B/S,,Opal takes a lot longer to show the gray-slate color than other breeds.So it's no wonder your Opal b/s male looks diffrent.This was my first year for raising Opals so I wasn't aware of what they look like as they get older.This is why someone,somewhere needs to collaborate with several other breeders and have pictures of each sex, what every color-pattern of peafowl there is. So many websites only shows an adult male peacock,,or others shows a hen,,we need a comprehensive website showing a newborn chick,3 months old,6 months old,1 year old and then an adult. Why hasn't the UPA done this years ago already? Even some of the most prominate breeders who has great websites fails to show pics of both sexes of peachicks, juvenile then fully matured adult hens and Peacocks. .My assumptions on sexing other b/s male chicks is correct in colors other than Opals,,B/S males DO show the darker feathers earlier than hens of the B/S pattern with the exception of OpalsYou can see from Mmmaddies 2 "hens"(that are really males) how little pigment they have as far as gray-Opal and they are now 4 1/2 months old.I was correct when sending Mmmaddie a B/S male,,but what she has is in fact a IB B/S split to Opal B/S male.Look closely at her pics above of her hens,because they are infact what your OPAL B/S male SHOULD look like(Top pics).Mmmaddie has 2 Opal B/S males,and an IB B/S split to Opal male(bottom pics)

Last edited:
They removed my tongsels yesterday, i'm in serious pain now, so i will post pics a little later when i am feeling better, still doesn't completely look like my male but is starting to ressemble it,

greetz,

Peacock in pain

Back
Top Bottom