Opa's place -Where an old rooster visits with friends

Sorry I wasn't on here sooner but I had to go to the hospital where my old farmer was at. He wanted my there when the doctors made their rounds and they decided to send him home. We'll get the paperwork done and you'll be able to take him home in a few minutes. Sure makes a feller wonder what kind of wrist watch they wear as in was almost 4 hours later before I got to take him home. I then called his nephew and told him to get his tail out to the farm that his uncle needs his help. He actually told me that he had been trying to get a hold of his uncle all week and that had he not heard from him by tomorrow on Monday he was going to take a ride out to check on him.
When I got the farmer home his nephew called and said he be there in about 20 minutes so I left. Thought it might be wise if I didn't see him.

Well that's enough ranting. On to happier things. Ranchie HAPPY BIRTHDAY. If you insist on having one each year you'll soon be as old as I am. Then you will have to endure ridicule from the Highlander. I tried to call so Granny and I could both offer our regards but you must be out mud bathing with the chickens again.

Happy Birthday, Ranchie!!!!! I had another baby yak born today on your b-day! Not sure of the gender yet, but it's a cutie-pie. This one is solid black, except with a gray nose. Mom is another one of the cows from Idaho.

Please post another baby yak pic!
smile.png

Morning all! Looks like it should be a beautiful day here today.
YakLady congrats on all the new little ones on your farm! Guess you and your DH are staying busy.
Sally hope you had a wonderful birthday.
Maggie I cracked open a Black Sumatra egg last night and it was fertile(based on the bullseye only). I am so tempted to put a couple in the incubator! I may try to send you a couple of the eggs next week if you are ready to try incubating them. My hen is only laying every other day and I don't want to hold them too many days before I send them. Want to warn you about something though-as my rooster had matured, he had become VERY bird aggressive(and I mean VERY-he runs them down and kicks their rears-VERY gamey) so if you hatched out 2 roosters, unless you could pen them seperately, one would HAVE to go. If you don't want to mess with this particular breed I understand-they can be pretty touchy to deal with. How's your hatch coming?
Here's hoping you all have a great day!

Last edited:
Today is cold and gloomy but the coming week is sure looking up. Temperatures reaching into the 70's are predicted by weeks end so I couldn't have a better forecast for the arrival of my 90 chicks. They are being shipped on the 29th and it will be April 1st before I have them all distributed to all who wanted them. Once that's accomplished I may be tempted to fire up the incubator.

10233_argue_shake_some_sense.gif
Has anyone else noticed how difficult arguing with yourself is?

I built a wall of cages in my large fowl coop and two of the cages have thermostatically controlled heat over them. So with all the available space that chicks could be placed in, there is absolutely nothing to keep from filling them. Nothing except common sense that tells me I don't need more birds.

Opa I have noticed how difficult to argue with myself-seems like I always lose(or is it that I always win...hmmm
big_smile.png
). Which of all of those wonderful breeds you have are you considering incubating?

I think that I will probably hatch just bantam spangled hamburgs, vorverks, and blue orpingtons. One incubator full should be enough to quench the hatching urge. .......... But then again the other incubator just sitting there looking so empty and forlorn. Somebody stop me.......
10233_argue_face_slap.gif
I was only going to get 3 or 4 hens.......honest.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom