Opa's place -Where an old rooster visits with friends

It's pretty cool to be able to say with certainty where your birds came from. It's also pretty interesting the similarity in Channing Grisham's name and my last name - Grissom.

It's been awhile since I've posted but life has been pretty good. The garden is finally starting to look like something and I've great expectations of a good harvest.

I got Granny out on the boat fishing the other day and she thoroughly enjoyed herself. We didn't catch many fish and released all we caught but it was still enjoyable for her to get out of the house. She said it had been 7 years since she last fished and it sure was nice to do something she had thought she would never get to do again.

I found out that I can launch and retrieve the boat single handedly. Admittedly it's not as easy as when I go with David or one of my friends but it is doable. I don't think I'd care to try it on a weekend just because I'd feel bad about how long I had the launch tied up. Granny wanted to help but with her limited mobility I didn't think that was a good idea.

I went to a picnic today that the police and fire retirees association holds annually. I was nice to see the people I used to work with. To remember some of the runs we responded to, some tragic and others quite funny. One of the guys had a copy of the reporting on the Asiana plane crash in San Francisco where based on information they got from a NTSB intern. Without reading the names first they announced them and then realized they had been spoofed into announcing names that was the interns idea of funny. I must admit it was some what funny although I admit it was also somewhat racist. What I felt was the funniest was that the TV station, in their rush to beat everyone else, didn't read them first. Any right thinking person would have realized that they had been had.

It was a perfect example of gallows humor and was something that we employed to help us deal with many horrific and tragic situations. If anyone would have heard us that would have though us to be crude and callow uncaring individuals. Nothing come be further from the truth. It was my privilege to have worked with men so willing to sacrifice all for others.

It was somewhat sad to see how old my old teammates have gotten for I know I am right there with them. Some of the guys brought their wives with them and they all felt the compulsion to hug and kiss me. I surmise that is because I've reached the age that I would not be considered dangerous. They would have never done that 30 years ago.

Last edited:
Opa,so glad the boat is working out. BF Jimmy and I are contemplating a bigger boat that we could use for Salmon fishing, and also be able to sleep on if we wanted to. Our two small (15') aluminum boats are not safe for use in the Straits if there is any significant wind.

That TV station broadcast - Sum Ting Wong, all right. My goodness!

Momma G, glad to hear things are going well and they are here as well. Weather wise this has been an unusual summer. It seems like it was warmer in May and June than its been in July and August. As a result the garden isn't doing as well as normal but still I'm not missing the hot weather.
Hope, Granny, and I have been fishing a few times at one of the local lakes but I am getting anxious for fall fishing for steelhead and salmon. The bigger boat should make all day fishing trips much more enjoyable.

Hi Opa and whoever else is around. Hoping everyone is doing well, especially after this really harsh winter. Spring is here and time for yard work and soccer. I am temporarily down to five chickens. That will increase very soon. We are doing well and so happy that the snow has melted. How are things with you?

This definitely was the longest and coldest winter that has been my misfortune to endure. However, in spite of having existed in an unheated coop my birds made it through 25 degrees below zero temperatures. I kept a large window, situated well above the roost, open all winter and it allowed the moisture the birds generate to vent and I'm sure that factored into minimal frost damage to combs and wattles.

I replaced my laying flock in October with chicks I purchased in February and now they are reaching their full potential. My 3 Welsummer hens are 3 years old, the 3 bantam Vorwerk hens are 4 and are still laying reasonably well. Yesterday from the total flock of 22 hen I got 20 eggs.

I've got a flock of turkeys in my yard everyday. The 22 hens have attracted 5 pretty nices toms and often they are stutting less than 10' from my back door. While they currently spend the majority of the day within 100 yards of the house, if they do as they have done in previous years they will leave a week to 10 days before turkey season opens. Still it is pretty nice to watch them.

Hi Opa. Looks like we live in the same neck of the woods. You are so spot on about last winter. I have never experienced anything like it and I grew up here. It's good to know you had no problems when it got bitter cold. We are just starting our chicken adventure and that was something I was concerned about.

I came across your post on one of my lurker days and thought I'd officially say howdy neighbor.

Tntchix, as much as I hated this winter, I am glad that we finally set a new record. It would have been a shame to have endured the winter we did for nothing. I really used to like winter but it seems with each passing year my attraction wanes.

What part of Michigan do you live in? My family moved to Michigan when I was little and now 68 years I still think they made the right decision. A lot has changed in the intervening years and sometimes it's hard to imagine what it was once like. Probably the best change was the installation of all the interstate highways. I have lived in Howell for the last 38 years and have found that it has somehow managed to retain much of its rural community feel.

I'm sure you won't have any problems with your flock but if I can help with advice please don't hesitate to ask.

Back
Top Bottom