Opa's place -Where an old rooster visits with friends

I spent a portion of today working in the coop. Cleaned the dropping trays and and then decided to clean the coop floor and place fresh wood shavings on the floor. I have one silver laced wyandotte that refuses to use a nest box so she always lays her egg in one corner and of course that corner is the one that is the furthest from the door, back under a dropping board where it is the hardest for me to get. Right now is is broody and was she upset that I was distrubing her while cleaning the coop. As soon as I had fresh shavings down she was in there kicking and scratching to get every arranged to her satisfaction.

Today the eggs came out of the tuner and went into lockdown. As I was changing them over I discover that somehow I must have banged the top of a blue orpington egg when I was candling them in the dark a few nights ago. I went ahead and opened the shell because I figured that I had killed it. Sadly, I hadn't. While the top of the shell was badly shattered the membrane was still intact. Inside was a chick that was three days from hatching. I should have left it alone. Something like that can sure make you feel like an idiot. I guess this incident demonstrates that not everyone gets smarter as they get older.

so sorry about your egg....
sad.png

One of my two large fowl ameraucanas is one amazing chicken. This is the third time this year that I have gotten an egg that weighs 3.75 ounces.
10233_big_egg_009.jpg

The welsummer egg next to it weighs 2.25 ounces and is an extra large. 2.5 ounces is a jumbo so this one must be a jumbonormous.

Last edited:
I havent had a lot of time to check in on the BYC lately, other than reading messages and placing a couple of bids every now and again. It seems as if there is not enough hours in a day to get everything done.
Now there is a lull which is great.Whew.
Hope everyone else is having a great beginning of summer!!!!
smile.png

Quote:
ep.gif
Wow, what an egg! Give that girl an extra treat!!

Cooler here this morning in the Ozarks, spent most of the day yesterday covering a chicken pen with wire to move the 6 week olds into. Had to have store bought chicken for dinner last night...
tongue.gif
Can't hardly wait for the fryers to get big enough. Hubby says green beans are blooming so it won't be long, looks like our plum tree's are going to have brown rot again this year from all the humidity and rain, really was hoping for some of those this year. Momma has been happily sewing on her quilt pieces and getting out taking walks looking at the flowers. Coffee's done...gonna get off here and start the day!

Cool here this morning but the day looks like it is going to be just about perfect with sun and a high of 74. It's supposed to keep getting warmer each day culminating with 87 predicted for Saturday. I would have much preferred it stay in the 70's. Saturday is our Chickenstock picnic and I've got my fingers gcrossed that the higher temps don't bring in afternoon thundershowers like they so often do.

Ouch, that egg looked like it smarted. I LOVE the word jumbonormous though! Must try and use that today
big_smile.png

Just finshed making another broody pen for my no2 broody hen. She is just on the floor of the coop with chicken wire round her at the moment and I wanted something more secure for when the chicks hatch. I'll move her into it tonight and hopefully when she wakes up she won't freak too much. Broody 1 has about a week to go I think (forgot to mark it on the calendar :rolleyes ) and this one started setting around 5 days later.

Both my kids have their birthdays this month so I am busy planning parties and the like right now. DD is going to have a princesses tea-party with 8 of her girlfriends and DS is going tubing and 4 of his friends will be sleeping over. Hopefully the weather will be kind. Mum will probably have a little gin party to herself once it is all over!
lol.png

Hope everyone is well. Welcome CCMH!
frow.gif
You picked the right thread to become a part of. I now must get my jumbonormous backside off this chair and get dinner started.
smile.png

OPA!!!!! Look who came to visit!
ep.gif

Can't stay long though.
hmm.png
Or I'll be rearing her children for her.

I reckon she really does believe two heads are better than one?
lau.gif

14937_img_2993_2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom