Opa's place -Where an old rooster visits with friends

Never could understand the attraction to raising snakes that some folks have, particularily the ones that are dangerous. Ive read that in Everglades National Park the non-native snakes are becoming a serious problem. Several years ago in Ann Arbor a very young baby was killed by the pet snake his father owned. The snake was a 12' boa and during the televison interview the father stated that he was surprized that had happened, that he had just fed it a hamster the week before. He seemed more concerned with the possible loss of his snake than he had for his son.

I'm a little surprised that no one has been on much today. The Michigan thread went all day without a post as well. Everyone is either suffering from heat stroke or they're patrolling their property looking for big snakes.

frow.gif
I is here!

Can't believe that I misguaged my coffee consumption and that I've emptied the coffee pot before 9PM. While I refuse to drink that vile stuff called instant coffee I will upon occasion make a cup using Folgers singles. Sort of a tea bag like process for coffee. Actually it's a much better cup of coffee than a lot of folks drink regularily. Still not quite like I'd prefer, but at 10PM beggars can't be chosers.

I've often made mention of the wonderful people I have met here. Where else could one wind up having a such a beautiful daughter, even if she oft times over does the eye shadow and wind up with a completely blue face. Now tonight Ranchie informs me that she wants Granny to adopt her, and since Granny absolutely adore talking with her I guess I now have a younger sister. Where else but BYC?

If you find one of them nasty looking things please make sure it doesn't wind up in Michigan. Many years ago I was on duty at the fire station and sitting outside enjoying the evening air. A frantic woman pulled into parking lot screaming that there was a snake in here car. She said she had felt something touch her leg, looked down and saw a large snake. We very cautiously searched her vehicle and discovered an 8' long python under her dash. Extricating it proved to be quite difficult. I don't believe I could have driven anywhere had I discovered a snake in my vehicle. At the very least I would have had to get the seat cleaned.

As I stated earlier, boas and anacondas are really becoming a serious problem in the Everglades. They even have rangers assigned to snake patrol. While researching for more information I found that in the past five years, the United States has imported 144,563 Burmese pythons, with the largest number coming from Vietnam, according to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. To many people get snakes without realizes just how big they can become and how much work they are. Far to many wind up being released to the wild.

What is particularily scary is they have captured African rock pythons in Florida and they are a very mean nasty snake. There is also fear that they might breed with the Burmese pythons resulting in a super snake. Next winter when I'm complaining about how cold it is or how deep the snow is, remind me that at least these nasty critters can live in the wild in the frozen north.

Last edited:
I just got the jibblies from reading your post, Opa. I don't do very well around snakes, bugs, spiders, and dogs.

ok, need to to something to stop the snake talk. Finally got my pics sorted so be prepared.
smile.png

The building were gorgeous. A typical street:

16494_budapest_037.jpg

this was an indoor maret that we frequented a bit, lots of local grown produce and homemade crafts:

16494_budapest_046.jpg

No idea what this building was but I thought it was quite cool.

16494_budapest_053.jpg

A view across the Danube:

16494_budapest_059.jpg

The Parliament buildings:

16494_budapest_001.jpg

Another view of Parliament

16494_budapest_047.jpg

I have to admit while we all enjoyed our break it is nice to be home. I never thought I would be so glad to have a few days of a nice cool Scottish summer, but after 100+ temps for 10 days I must say it is a nice relief.

One of my chickens was broody when I left and she hatched a couple of chicks when I was away. I came back to these little cuties:

16494_budapest_072.jpg

The eggs were laid by a white leghorn over a huge brahma roo. Goodness knows what they are going to grow into!

Back
Top Bottom