Opa's place -Where an old rooster visits with friends

Good day everyone,

Not much excitement around here, just alternating between shivering and sweating - every day. 40s at night and 70s during the day, makes dressing every morning a challenge! We had a fire one night, not exactly winter yet.

Highlander, too bad about the shopping trip, I know you enjoy it. I'd MUCH rather shop for others, unless I'm in a hardware store, in which case I shop for me!
big_smile.png
I'm sure you'll be lovely, dance up a storm and feast like there's no tomorrow! If you see any lobsters, smuggle them out for me. I was going to suggest putting them in your DHs kilt but decided that wasn't a very good idea. How are the messy ducks doing?

Gallinamama, we had a bumper crop of acorns last year and the deer were darn near storming the front porch for them. This year? Not many acorns and no deer around. I think there are some in the woods behind us, but I don't hunt and neither does my DH. Our property is a wildlife habitat, so they come here to hide!
lol.png

Opa, hope you and David get plenty of deer this year, I felt for him when he didn't get any last year. Did you put up the Christmas lights? Last time we talked I wasn't very excited about it because times are so tough right now. Then it hit me yesterday - times are tough? DEFINITELY time for some lights to make the gloom back away!

The chicks from shelleyb1969's eggs are just over a week old now, so yesterday I figured it was time to introduce JarJar (JJ) to them. Went into the brooder room, ready to do it - I needn't have bothered, the little buzzard "flew the coop" and had gone OVER the divider and was happily ruling the flock on his own. He is 3 weeks old and I can already see he is going to be a real handful as a rooster. It's pretty funny to see him "mothering" the 8 little ones.
lau.gif
They hide under his fluffy britches.

The latest pic:

14937_img_3238_2.jpg

JJ is a columbian pattern, his black hackle feathers are just staring to come in. The newer chicks are black or blue mottles, I am really looking forward to see them feathered out! The monkey may not survive the brooding, he's getting really poopy.

Last edited:
Haven't seen Opa on here for a while. Must mean he is either spending a lot on time at his deer stand, or a lot of time butchering the ones he has gotten.

Quote:
I are good, huntin' ain't.

Gun season opened on Monday the 15th and it was the quietest opener I've ever experienced. Unseasonably warm and the deer just weren't moving. Since it is so warm, David and I had decided that we aren't going to shoot any does until the weather is cold enough that spoilage isn't an issue, and we don't shoot any bucks smaller than I have hanging on the wall. Most openers I will see well over 100 deer over the course of the day. This year I saw 4 does and David saw 3 small bucks and 2 does. Tuesday through Friday it was warm and I didn't want to hunt and really needed to take advantage of mild weather to work on the remod project we have going. Saturday and Sunday was just a repeat of the opener and today has rained hard and temperatures have been in the 60s. I don't think I'll bother with hunting until at least Friday when we have predicted highs in the 30s.

A young man named John received a parrot as a gift. The parrot had a bad attitude and an even worse vocabulary.

Every word out of the bird's' mouth was rude, obnoxious and laced with profanity. John tried and tried to change the bird's attitude by consistently saying only polite words, playing soft music and anything else he could think of to 'clean up' the bird's vocabulary.

Finally, John was fed up and he yelled at the parrot. The parrot yelled back. John shook the parrot and the parrot got angrier and even more rude. John, in desperation, threw up his hand, grabbed the bird and put him in the freezer. For a few minutes the parrot squawked and kicked and screamed.
Then suddenly there was total quiet. Not a peep was heard
for over a minute.

Fearing that he'd
hurt the parrot,
John quickly opened the door to the freezer. The parrot calmly stepped out onto John's outstretched arms and said "I believe I may have offended you with my rude language and actions. I'm sincerely remorseful for my inappropriate transgressions and I fully intend to do everything I can to correct my rude and
unforgivable behavior."

John was stunned at the change in the bird's attitude.

As he was about to ask the parrot what had made such a dramatic change in his behavior, the bird spoke-up, very softly, "May I ask what the turkey did?"

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

Hi All!
Hi Opa! How are you doing? Haven't seen you on the Michigan board in awhile and thought I would find you here! The Michigan board isn't very fun anymore though. I knew I could come here for some fun!

Have a Happy and Safe Thanksgiving! We all have a lot to be thankful for!

Thanksgiving arrives tomorrow and a great deal of the food preparation is complete. The pies are baked, a coconut cake sits alluringly on the counter. The turkey breast is smoked, and with a spiral honey glazed ham they will only reheating. Mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, a corn casserole and butter dips will complete our repast. While this vast array of culinary delights is much to be thankful for I am more thankful for the friends and family that will be sharing it with us. I hope that all of the wonderful people I have met via BYC know that I am thankful for them as well and all would be welcomed at my table. Have a wonderful holiday.

Back
Top Bottom