Opa's place -Where an old rooster visits with friends

Quote:
Sounds like a broody hen to me!
woot.gif

Roughly, 21 days from when she starts "setting" full time. She may well be grumpy, so put of some leather gloves or such and go hoist her up. Count the eggs, maybe put a pencil mark on them. Because itf she can steal more eggs or the other hens are laying in there, you'll need to take the newly laid eggs out. Usually broody hens will leave the nest once or twice a day to eat, drink, leave a huge smelly poop and maybe have a dust bath. If they won't, you'll have to force her off the nest.

Given the time frame, she may be close to hatch time, so she may not want to leave. It's been 3 weeks, but since you don't know when she went broody I'd take it as any old time and put starter feed and water near her. Make sure the area she's in is protected, has no lip on it that would prevent the chicks from getting back in under her and cross your fingers.

Maybe you could candle the eggs tonight? ETA: You DO have a rooster, right?
tongue.png

Last edited:
Yes a beautiful rooster. when I started this April of last year... they were one week old chicks... I didn't know that I had 5 roosters and 4 hens.. so to speak... (don't know all the terminolgy..)... but my sister in law and brother in law took care of the roosters because they were bugging the heck out of those 4... and one rooster would attack me everyday... so you know what happened... anywho.... my neighbor has 30 some chickens and 3 roosters that were fighting one another and he gave me this beautiful black rooster with a funny comb he is almost blue black.. just beautiful and he takes care of the girls real nice... makes sure they eat etc...

Thank you for the advice...

Quote:

So you are saying I need to force her off the nest to eat? She moved to this small area because before I went on vacation ... when I would collect the eggs.. she would be right there and it seemed to bother her that I took the eggs.. so I knew something must be up.. because she was the only one doing this.... now she is in this tiny area.. almost stuck in between the coop wall and the bale of hay... haha... I will check on her this afternoon again. thank you:jumpy

Quote:
Sounds like a broody hen to me!
woot.gif

Roughly, 21 days from when she starts "setting" full time. She may well be grumpy, so put of some leather gloves or such and go hoist her up. Count the eggs, maybe put a pencil mark on them. Because itf she can steal more eggs or the other hens are laying in there, you'll need to take the newly laid eggs out. Usually broody hens will leave the nest once or twice a day to eat, drink, leave a huge smelly poop and maybe have a dust bath. If they won't, you'll have to force her off the nest.

Given the time frame, she may be close to hatch time, so she may not want to leave. It's been 3 weeks, but since you don't know when she went broody I'd take it as any old time and put starter feed and water near her. Make sure the area she's in is protected, has no lip on it that would prevent the chicks from getting back in under her and cross your fingers.

Maybe you could candle the eggs tonight? ETA: You DO have a rooster, right?
tongue.png

Quote:
Shine a light through them to see if you can see any developing embryo within the egg
wink.png
I use a Mini Maglite with a LED bulb...works great
big_smile.png

Thank you so much... just went out there and she is still there... and moving a bit so I know she is alive... but the bale of hay has moved... kind of more trapped in.. except the back side... That is where I had an opening for air... so I went into the garage and got out another bale and put it up against the outside... just so she can be more warm...
My family laughs at me... but I care if an animal is safe and well cared for... as much as I can.
I will get the flashlight... but I will wait a few more days... give her a chance... now I have to read up on how to take care of the little chick.. when I had the chicks last year... I just put them all under a red light in the garage... in a kids pool.. but I think her momma can probably do a better job than I would. ...its a nice thing to see these animals and what they do... even with a pea brain... they take better care than some humans... makes you think...have a nice day...
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
Shine a light through them to see if you can see any developing embryo within the egg
wink.png
I use a Mini Maglite with a LED bulb...works great
big_smile.png

I just listened to the actual 911 call where a person broke into a home and decided to take a shower while he was there. When the owners came home he was frightened to come out of the bathroom and called 911 and stated that he had broken into a home, the owners returned, and he was frightened to come out of the bathroom. You can hear the home owners telling him that they are calling the police to which he replies I already have, they're on the phone now.

No matter how old I get, incidents like this one serve to remind me that no matter how long I live I will never ceased to be amazed by people.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom