Open Air Coop in the Snow

3KillerBs

Addict
14 Years
Jul 10, 2009
North Carolina Sandhills
My Coop
My Coop
Aka, reason #4672 in the list of why it's good to have over-sized facilities and gigantic roof overhangs.

0122220724b.jpg

0122220817.jpg

Some snow did blow through into the run. If snow were a constant thing here I'd worry, but it will soon be gone and this little dust of wet shouldn't be an issue in my composting deep litter. I'd moved the feed inside to better shelter, but not good enough. It's all on the outside of the waterproof, plastic bags though.

I'm glad I put up the tarp windblock on the one section.

0122220812_HDR.jpg
0122220812a_HDR.jpg

Green, normally so reluctant to pose for photos, decided to photobomb my snow pictures.

0122220812b_HDR.jpg
0122220813b_HDR.jpg

The brooder, with the spare boys in it, did not perform as well as I'd have expected, letting some snow in despite the awnings. So an important reminder to not brood chicks in it when it might snow with swirling winds -- not that I was thinking of having chicks before early March anyway. I'll probably brood the first batch in the Little Monitor Coop just in case of a late storm. (Rain never gets in, but snow is lighter).

0122220724c.jpg
0122220807.jpg

I shook the snowy feed out of the feeder, trusting the boys to clean up, and didn't worry about the rest of it. With all that ventilation it will dry up promptly once it thaws.

They probably wouldn't be out much with the snow, well depending on which bird I'm talking about. Some would, some wouldn't venture out there. 😁
True! Lol! But my duckies LOVE the snow!

If I'd felt the need (read: motivation), I could have dug it out. It would probably work if the majority of the snow were away from the live wires.

Aka, reason #4672 in the list of why it's good to have over-sized facilities and gigantic roof overhangs.

View attachment 2968470
View attachment 2968472

Some snow did blow through into the run. If snow were a constant thing here I'd worry, but it will soon be gone and this little dust of wet shouldn't be an issue in my composting deep litter. I'd moved the feed inside to better shelter, but not good enough. It's all on the outside of the waterproof, plastic bags though.

I'm glad I put up the tarp windblock on the one section.

View attachment 2968465View attachment 2968466

Green, normally so reluctant to pose for photos, decided to photobomb my snow pictures.

View attachment 2968467View attachment 2968468

The brooder, with the spare boys in it, did not perform as well as I'd have expected, letting some snow in despite the awnings. So an important reminder to not brood chicks in it when it might snow with swirling winds -- not that I was thinking of having chicks before early March anyway. I'll probably brood the first batch in the Little Monitor Coop just in case of a late storm. (Rain never gets in, but snow is lighter).

View attachment 2968480View attachment 2968481

I shook the snowy feed out of the feeder, trusting the boys to clean up, and didn't worry about the rest of it. With all that ventilation it will dry up promptly once it thaws.
We rarely have snow. Our run and coop are plenty big and has a roof overhead with an over hang. We have a flock of 9.

Back
Top Bottom