He's worse in the mornings? If so, then housing needs to be re-thought. Provide goo ventilation, getting rid of any mold/mildew, etc.
He isn’t worse in the morning, he’s worse while he’s awake, so pretty much all day. He actually sleeps in the house when he’s sick, the last week I’ve kept him in most of the day everyday since the breathing issue started. Today he’s spending the morning out with the others again, it’s cheered him up but hasn’t relieved his issues.

I clean their cages once a week, I lapsed the week before to two weeks because I was busy with Roxby, hence why I didn’t notice the spilled feed, all three cages were cleaned out and sanitized with ammonia that day. Since then I I’ve been cleaning the cages pretty much every day now along with using a little oxine.

As for ventilation, the cages are under a covered deck, the fronts are open to the air so ventilation isn’t an issue, the issue I have is excessive moisture, every day for the past three weeks we’ve had a heavy mist in the morning and evening. It looks like it rains every day just from the amount of condensation, it’s like I suddenly live in a swamp.

Update on Roxby.

He only ended up getting a single dose of the amphotericin b. I thought about his symptoms long and hard and though I know Asper can present really vague symptoms, Roxby’s current symptoms still are very different than my other gander Thor’s symptoms who had Asper.

That doesn’t mean that Roxby doesn’t have Asper, but I wasn’t sure that it wasn’t a heart issue causing his open mouth breathing, withdrawn behavior, and digestive issues. If he has a heart issue or some other grave problem poisoning him with that shit seems pointless even if he did have asper.

Since then Roxby hasn’t exactly gotten better, but he hasn’t gotten worse either, Asper progresses fairly quickly once symptoms manifest from what I remember from Thor, another reason I suspect it less in Roxby’s case.

When I listen to Roxby’s heart nothing stands out as obviously abnormal, though as I said before I’m not a good judge, he isn’t exercise intolerant either, climbing up a bank doesn’t make him exhausted, he’s overall moderately lethargic at all times but exerting himself doesn’t seem to have any perceivable effects on him.

His swallowing issue went away for awhile, came back again recently, he’s also still itchy more or less. He has an achy tummy from what I can tell, he stands with his legs splayed sometimes.

From what it looks like to me currently Roxby has some sort of inflamitory issue. His droppings are normal, but if he has a large meal in one go, or eats something like apple, he has trouble digesting it and tends to vomit it up after two days, so something is off with his upper digestive tract, once it gets past that, if it does, he doesn’t seem to have issues fully processing his food. That tells me he has an enlarged organ potentially, maybe a mass pressing on his organs and lungs, cancer, or something like a systemic thrush problem, it might explain the itching, though liver disease could cause that too among other things.

In other words Roxby’s issues could be a number of problems that aren’t things that can be fixed, a small few possibilities that could be treated, but it’s likely that it isn’t.

The last few days I have noticed less noticeable gaping and that his energy is picking up and he’s becoming more vocal, he tried to pick a fight with his brother twice today so that’s something positive. I haven’t changed anything with his diet or routine so I can’t explain why he feels better, but he seems to a little at least.

The itching could also be a secondary issue I realized recently, the cold boggy weather brought out the mycoplasma issue in the rest of my geese, everyone’s been more or less snicking and scratching at their faces, so the itching might be unrelated to Roxby’s other problems.

Currently the worst effected by this is one of my other geese “Delphi.”she’s been feeling run down all week, quiet, scratching her face, and her legs are sore, though she isn’t coughing, doesn’t have a runny nose or foamy eyes, none of the geese have runny noses and they’ve oddly never had the foamy eyes manifest the last few times this has popped up.

Earlier today I found a lot of mucus smeared across the wall in the pen Delphi shares with two of my other ganders. I don’t know if it came from her, but the other two aren’t feeling as poorly as she is so my guess is that it was from her.
Unfortunatly this is not helping my asper paranoia, her group wasn’t exposed to the mold like the others were a few weeks back, “different cage” but with the weather lately and my luck this last year anything’s possible. ☹️
I hope it’s just the mycoplasma. I need a break from my life right now.

I called my county humane society to ask if they know of anyone who genuinely does low cost radiology.
I just want to know if there is anything more I could do or if it’s something I did or if this is something that’s always been out of my hands with Roxby. Not knowing is the worst part of this.

I told the girl on the phone some of the things I’ve dealt with at various vet offices this year and why I desperately need somewhere that won’t overcharge or lie to me and if they know of anyone, I didn’t even get that, all I got was her snapping at me that they only see cats and dogs and hung up on.

When I was a kid this state “California” had excellent vets. I really respected them, people used to joke that if you needed a good doctor go to a vet.
The humane society has always been shit around here, it’s never been clear exactly what they do with their money besides harass people that take care of their dogs and ignore blatant puppy mills so I’m not really surprised by their total absense of empathy but veterinarians used to be awesome here.
What happened? Do they do a test now at school and if you’re even marginally competent or show some semblance of a soul you don’t graduate vet college/university?

I am sorry to read that he is sick again.

Did you deworm him yet? The symptoms you describe might be caused by gapeworm.

Our neighbour's chicken rooster and two geese were very sick from gapeworm infestation, one of the geese recovered after thoroughly deworming them, for the other and the rooster it was too late.

Our neighbour's chicken rooster and two geese were very sick from gapeworm infestation, one of the geese recovered after thoroughly deworming them, for the other and the rooster it was too late.
I worked him, but it didn’t seem to make much difference.

Out of curiosity though what were the symptoms of the geese?

I worked him, but it didn’t seem to make much difference.
What did you use, what dosage and for how long?

Out of curiosity though what were the symptoms of the geese?
Wheezing, gurgling, coughing, head shaking, diarrhea, problems swallowing their feed, dizzyness, neck and head scratching, general weakness. Some days breathng with open beaks.

It was the same for the rooster.

But the symptoms varied, some days they were a bit better than others.

Back
Top Bottom