Opinion on Automatic Chicken Doors

How long does the battery last? I’ve been steered towards this door.
One year on average. If you have it set to second chance, where the door closes at dusk but then opens and closes again a little later in case someone got locked out, it will only last about 6 months since it is opening and closing twice as much.

Do not get one that relies on a string wound up on a shaft .....

Hear me out... I have never had an auto door before but this is what I have heard from videos, reviews, and other fourms. I am still in the process of buying a door and I am so confused as to which one is best. So far I narrowed down my options to two doors. PLEASE tell me if you have had any of the doors I mentioned, I don't know which one to buy.

Chicken Guard
I heard the motor to this door doesn't work after about two years, giving me the vibe that it doesn't last that long. Many of the videos on Youtube for this door are sponsored so I don't if they are giving me an honest opinion. I also heard that the string can freeze during winters. The amazon revies averages just 72% 5 star reviews. I do apprecaiate the fact that there are many videos on the door in action. I also like the predator proof door.

View attachment 2707903
Ador1
Although there are only a couple youtube videos reviewing this door, I don't get enough imformation on this door so I have to read the Amazon reviews. I heard this is the longest lasting door and doesn't function with strings. Other reviews said the customer service was amazing unlike Chicken Gurad's. Altough this product has almost half the amount of ratings as Chicken Guard, it has an 87%, 5 star rating. It may seem like I am prasing this door over chickenguard, but I don't know much about it. There are no product videos, so I don't know what it's like.

View attachment 2707912
I am not familiar with the chicken guard but I do own and use an Ador 1. Far as I'm concerned its the only way to go.

Just an opinion but .... I wouldn't trust the Amazon reviews on most stuff now days.

I've bought 3 automatic chicken doors over the years. The first two were from automaticchickencoopdoor.com; They were the string type doors (see below). I've had one for 3 yrs and the other for 2 yrs. Both work well although I don't think they are so great as to justify the current cost. (I bought mine much cheaper.) TIMERS are very unreliable. But honestly, they are simple timers just like you'd buy at Lowes or Walmart. I have replaced both original timers several times now. I've also had the string break on one of them, but it was very easy to fix. I haven't had a predator get through these doors although I do worry about it. If dirt, poo, or other materials get in the frame, it can leave a gap at the bottom. Any gap means a predator can get their claws/nose under it and open it with ease.

ACD.jpg

The last door I purchased this spring was from Ortis on Amazon. The mechanics are great and it is definitely more secure than the string type. However, the TIMER is absolute junk. It is really difficult to use and set up. Mine also came broken. I'm honestly thinking of buying a separate timer and splicing it in. Also, be wary about buying from Amazon. Before I made this purchase, Ortis had mostly positive reviews (yes, I checked for scam reviews too) and a lot of "history" which made it seem like a reputable, established company. After I purchased the door and had issues with the timer, I reached out to the company to see if the timer could be replaced as it is supposed to be covered under warranty. Needless the say, no one answers the phone number at the 'company' and emails are not returned. Warranty is useless if you can't get a response...and now the 'company' has mysteriously disappeared on Amazon. Because of issues like this, I won't buy stuff from Amazon anymore if I don't recognize the brand name.

Ortis.jpg

One year on average. If you have it set to second chance, where the door closes at dusk but then opens and closes again a little later in case someone got locked out, it will only last about 6 months since it is opening and closing twice as much.

Do not get one that relies on a string wound up on a shaft .....
Yeah I’m not too interested in the string wound ones. Sounds like something that’s easy to break into! I’m too deep in the woods for that. I’m pretty sold on the Ador 1

Yeah I’m not too interested in the string wound ones. Sounds like something that’s easy to break into! I’m too deep in the woods for that. I’m pretty sold on the Ador 1
Same here ... I worried about the Ador price but was glad I went ahead and spent the money once I got it in my hands and installed.

Since it's not mentioned here, I am using the Run Chicken T50 automatic door, which I believe is a newer option (at least since last year when I was looking) and most similar to the Ador.

I held off on an auto door for a long time and out of all of them the only one that I even considered was the Ador chicken door....until I discovered the Run Chicken T50 as a "similar product suggestion" on Amazon.

I've had ours installed for a couple months, just got back from a 2-week vacation where it worked great during that time. Now I'm considering buying a 2nd one for our pet rabbit's setup.

I just purchased the Chicken Guard on Amazon (it was 20 percent off on Prime Day). It already came this morning and I am excited to set it up. I will update you on it. What made me change my mind about the three-year warranty it comes with. I would get the Ador1 but I haven't seen enough reviews on it. I've seen other forums mentioning they put fake reviews to target their customers. Just to be safe, bought the Chicken guard.

Back
Top Bottom