Opinions and thoughts on my newly constructed Chicken Tractor.

tjl1388

Hatching
5 Years
Jul 27, 2014
First one and first time with chickens. We move it about every other day so they have fresh grass. As I'm in Central Florida I built a misting system into it today on a timer and they get a gallon block of ice daily. Only have 4 hens and like it that way. Plenty of room for everyone at 48 square ft. Would love to hear thoughts on it.

Egg access.

Looks nice. Is there an easy way to raise and lower the ramp to the nesting boxes? I guess if you are only moving the tractor in the direction of the nesting boxes, the ramp would not need raised.

Do you get high winds ? If so, how will you keep this from blowing away?
I've had some trouble with this, that's why I'm asking.

There are several options for anchoring a small tractor such as this - from using heavy blocks (cement) sitting on the surface of the ground outside the coop and anchored to the tractor at all four corners to using anchors driven into the ground (think about it like staking a tent) - it's a matter of what is physically most easy for you (some are better able to move/carry heavy objects than to drive/remove stakes) and most fits your preferences (ie not wanting to punch a bunch of holes in your yard as you move the tractor periodically.

The ramp has been trimmed about 6in to clear the grass and I will be drilling into the base in at least one spot to use a horse shoe shaped piece of rebar to anchor it down.

Back
Top Bottom