opinions needed on some breeds

Picco

Songster
12 Years
Mar 14, 2007
NY
I've been looking over hatchery catalogs and would love to know what people think about some of the breeds that have caught my eye. I want my egg basket to have all colors of eggs so I'd love to get a variety of breeds to add to my flock. If anyone breeds these let me know, I'd rather buy from you guys
smile.png

Here are some of the breeds:

Delaware
Black Minorca
Ancona
Norwegian Jærhøns
Barnevelders

Also, I think I'll be ordering form Ideal, so if there are any differences in their strain of these breeds let me know.

I wish I could help, but of all those breeds listed I have only seen a Black Minorca. That was once at a show, and he was impressively beautiful! Have you taken a look at feathersite?

I don't have any of the one's you mentioned but, I have thought real hard about getting some Barnevelders. They say they are very nice birds and the pics I've seen are nice. They are a rare breed so, you would be doing good to help out a breed in need. That's one reason I have considered them. My veiw is....everyone should try at least 1 rare breed, if for no other reason just to help with the breed a little. We should help preserve each breed for the next generation.

I dont have those breeds but I called Sandhill about the Delawares and I would say they have the best purebred and that they are calm.and larger than other hatcheries. I heard Barnvelders are nice and calm too. I was interested in Barnvelder bantams but they are not offering them this year. Those Norwegian J@erhons look very interesting also to me. Sorry I have no experience.just opinions.

Back
Top Bottom