Opinions on Genders - PICS

skeeter9

Songster
12 Years
Apr 10, 2007
Foothills of Central CA
Well, it's time to face the music! Here are some pics of my 12-week-old Blue/Black Orp and 15-week-old Barred Rock babies. I'd love to hear some opinions on gender. . .

This is 2 pics of the Barred Rock: Edited to add: both pics are of the same BR. In the 1st pic, the little guy in the background is a Cuckoo Marans.

BR2.jpg

BR1.jpg

Here are a couple of one of the Black Orps:

BLACKORP1.jpg

BLACKORP2.jpg

And now a couple of the Blue Orp:

BLUEORP1.jpg

BLUEORP2.jpg

On this Black Orp I would also like some feedback on the white feathering on this one's chest. Is this a mottled or is it just poor coloring?

BLACKORPWITHWHITE-FRONT.jpg

CLOSEUPOFWHITE.jpg

BLACKORPWITHWHITE-SADDLE.jpg

Last edited:
in my uneducated opinion, i think you have 2 barred cockerals, the blue/ black orps look like pullets except for the last pic of the one with white on it's chest which I believe to be a cockeral

Cockerel, Pullet, Pullet

The last one im not sure about. As for the white spots,...thats actually good. Some black birds get it but will go away, the more white spots they have like that as chicks/juveniles just means that the nice green sheen they have as adults will be better. The white spots arent a bad thing, but rather a good one.

~Casey

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks so much for the opinions, guys! Keep 'em coming!

Casey - that's interesting about the white ticking on the feathers. This particular bird also has some white on his/her flight feathers. I'm curious to see what he/she looks like as an adult!

Back
Top Bottom