isabellajosie

Chirping
May 6, 2022
Atlanta, GA
Hi, all! I have a pre-fab coop from Tractor Supply that I plan on using until I’m able to complete my long-term goal of building my own coop and run. Now that it’s built and painted, the next step is predator-proofing. Originally I wanted to bury hardware cloth to deter digging predators. However, where I live, the ground is very hard, compact, and dry and we couldn’t dig very deep. I decided to skirt the hardware cloth, which extends about three feet away from the coop. I plan on staking it into the ground and then covering it with topsoil. I’m just wondering if this will be effective at deterring digging predators? I’ve thought of replacing all the latches on the doors of the coop for added protection and plan on locking the chickens up at night. But I’m still worried that they won’t be fully protected. Any thoughts, opinions, or advice would be greatly appreciated!

3 foot IMHO is wasting wire. 2 feet is all you really need.

I agree if a small child can open it a coon can easily open it. Pavers look nice but they won't stop a full gown coon. There are some cinder blocks in my coons enclosure and they roll them around like toys. A full gown coon is a lot more powerful for their size than most people give them credit for.

:goodpost:

This. The reason the wire skirt works is that it's invisible under grass or mulch. The digger tries to dig at the base of the wall it can see and gives up because it can't get through the invisible wire.

If you have pavers the digger backs up to the edge of the pavers to dig -- putting it much closer to the edge of the wire where it can get underneath.

Back
Top Bottom