Opinions Please On This Baby

She has some crazy spangling/ lacing on her chest. View attachment 2860483

Looking at your girl (and bearing in mind I'm new at identifying this stuff), she looks like she might be (at least partially) duckwing base? Because she's showing the majority of her red in the chest area.

My reading gives me the understanding that hens built on duckwing base (e+/e+) are inclined to retain the salmon breast, and especially so when red enhancers are present.

Happy to be corrected or refined on that understanding though - if anyone else is viewing :)

Looking at your girl (and bearing in mind I'm new at identifying this stuff), she looks like she might be (at least partially) duckwing base? Because she's showing the majority of her red in the chest area.

My reading gives me the understanding that hens built on duckwing base (e+/e+) are inclined to retain the salmon breast, and especially so when red enhancers are present.

Happy to be corrected or refined on that understanding though - if anyone else is viewing :)
I agree. But I’m just not sure of anything with her lol.

OK.. Update Pictures!
I actually have two chicks like this now.

Chick A (Not the original chick posted - but has since developed red)
Looks splash but with some feathers marked with very obvious and very dark red leakage. (Could also be a very very light blue?? - Crest is darker than the body)
(Am suspecting cockerel based on shoulder placement of red).
The red is quite a rich mahogany and patchy in it's placement.

View attachment 2858047View attachment 2858048View attachment 2858049

Chick B (The original chick posted)
Assumed splash with some rather funky red leakage/markings and patterning.
Ground colour is very light silver - almost like lavender but I know it's not lavender.
Assuming not recessive white because that "should" cover all red yes?
I can see no dark feathers yet, which you'd expect for a splash, odd??
All feathers have a faint edging of the red and it's a pretty uniform patterning.
Also looking like a few columbian/birchen type red markings coming in on the hackles.
Suspecting hen at this stage..

View attachment 2858050
View attachment 2858051
View attachment 2858053
View attachment 2858054
Any more updates? I’ve seen some splashes without many dark patches.

Any more updates? I’ve seen some splashes without many dark patches.
Actually yes - we are in luck! I have the babies inside at the present so here's the latest pictures :)

There are no particular signs yet to say this might be a cockerel - but I am watching the placement of the red over the shoulders.

The red patterning seems pretty uniformly placed all over the body and is not darkening, but is increasing in proportion over time.

Keen to hear peoples revised opinions on what to call this.

Still Splash with Leaky Red?? Or are we looking at some form of poor lacing??

Also - How awesome is this beard!! <3 <3

20211107_064934.jpg

20211107_064724.jpg 20211107_064835.jpg 20211107_064911.jpg 20211107_064916.jpg 20211107_064927.jpg

Actually yes - we are in luck! I have the babies inside at the present so here's the latest pictures :)

There are no particular signs yet to say this might be a cockerel - but I am watching the placement of the red over the shoulders.

The red patterning seems pretty uniformly placed all over the body and is not darkening, but is increasing in proportion over time.

View attachment 2889854

View attachment 2889849View attachment 2889850View attachment 2889851View attachment 2889852View attachment 2889853
She is just uniquely weird and beautiful! The head floof is unexpected, but gives her even more flair 😍 is the base coloring white or a creamy color? She almost looks like the coloring called “porcelain” in d’Uccles, just with more distinct reds popping thru. I know next to nothing about genetics, but super fun to learn all this stuff! Thanks for sharing her growth so we can see! 😍

View attachment 2889854

View attachment 2889849View attachment 2889850View attachment 2889851View attachment 2889852View attachment 2889853
That pattern makes me think she could have columbian or duckwing genes causing the leakage.

Back
Top Bottom