Opossums May Kill Chickens

We had to shoot two possums this summer. They were climbing trees around the electric fenced enclosure and dropping in. First they ate just the spilled food, then went on to eat the polish that were not getting into the coop before the automatic door closed. We also lost 8 chickens and 3 ducks to a fox feeding her pups - these were the birds that were flying over the fence to forage. It's distressing and disheartening for sure. You have everyone's sympathies, as most of us have been there.

Yes indeed, possums eat chickens when they can catch them. Usually at night, a bit harder for a possum to move fast enough to catch a hen during the day. Back in the sixties people used to catch possums in SE Oklahoma and pen them up like rabbits to fatten them up.

I had one customer give me a bad review because my feeder wasn't possum proof. We never said it was possum proof, wouldn't have thought a possum proof feeder would be needed. Really, if you have possums in your coop you have a bigger problem than it eating your chicken feed.

Back
Top Bottom