Options for egg bound bantam pullet

Corid is a vitamin B blocker. All strains of coccidia including those that target other animals, thrive on thiamine. Corid is blocking that so the coocidia can't carry out their life cycle. Sulfa and Corid are a combination that is often used successfully to head off inflammation of the intestines, and it will kill any bacteria that tries to take advantage of the inflamed tissue.

Your chickens will be fine with the treatment you're providing. It will be under control very quickly.

Corid is a vitamin B blocker. All strains of coccidia including those that target other animals, thrive on thiamine. Corid is blocking that so the coocidia can't carry out their life cycle. Sulfa and Corid are a combination that is often used successfully to head off inflammation of the intestines, and it will kill any bacteria that tries to take advantage of the inflamed tissue.

Your chickens will be fine with the treatment you're providing. It will be under control very quickly.
Thank you! Thanks to you, again, for saving my pet birds. I wouldn't have been checking poops like I have without you and @Wyorp Rock mentioning and encouraging it. I watch out for poops from everyone of the birds often, but I have been very diligent with checking theirs constantly. I must have missed seeing it in Raymona's and I will be kicking myself forever for it. The 4 bantam girls are still acting normal, so I might have missed this too, without the encouragement from you and others here at BYC. I am so grateful. I feel like the most blessed person right now.

I called to ask when my order would be shipped and was told that it's NOT in stock :hit So back to freaking out mode I go. Going to call the company you shared @azygous and order it from there if it's available. I only have two and a half more tablets left. The directions to use one tablet per day for 7 to 10 days. Here's hoping I am able to find it somewhere very soon. I don't want to lose anymore pets. This will be something that I keep on hand at all times from here on out. Will any type of oral sulfa work? What about the capsules that are sold for use in aquariums (from my small amount of experience, they're the same thing as any other medications, but I've only had experience with amoxicillin and clindamycin)? I am going to be searching high, low, every, and any where in between, but if anyone has a possible "out of the box" option, PLEASE share. I will be so grateful

Do your chickens like wet chicken feed?
You could mix the medicine into the water exactly as directed, then use a small amount of that medicated water with a small amount of their normal chicken feed to make a wet mush, and let them gobble it up. (If you feed wet chicken feed, they will not need to drink as much from the waterer--so using the medicated water to make the wet feed really means they get the same amount of medicine they would anyway. But it encourages them to get the first bit a little sooner.)

Just wanted to say thank you. All of my birds LOVE mash and get it nightly, to make sure crops are full before bed. I didn't think to make them mash during the day to get more medication in each bird. This tip was so helpful and made a HUGE difference in at least two of Raymona's flockmates getting the medications. THANK YOU SO MUCH! I hate that I didn't thank you before now, but I really appreciate this.

Just wanted to say thank you. All of my birds LOVE mash and get it nightly, to make sure crops are full before bed. This tip was so helpful and made a HUGE difference in at least two of Raymona's flockmates getting the medications. THANK YOU SO MUCH! I hate that I didn't thank you before now, but I really appreciate this.

Glad it helped!
When you've got an emergency (like sick chickens) it's so easy to miss things that you normally would do, or would think of :)

Any chance this will work @azygous @Wyorp Rock @NatJ
20200803_184412.jpg

Tomorrow morning I'm going to call around to a few other places that are already closed, to ask if they have a sulfa med that will work.
The closest avian vet is about 2 hours away. I've not traveled with a grown chicken but I imagine it can be stressful for them and the human. I know they will treat the flock of the bird that I take in, but I don't know about the other flocks that live in very close proximity to and mingle together during free ranging. It will be very expensive to take just one bird. There's no way that I can take everyone. I really can't afford to take one, plus I'll have to reschedule my clients as well. I know it's a good idea to get established with an avian vet, but someone more local would be much better all around. This is just not ideal (I realize that's how life goes so honestly I'm not trying to be a complainer) but I feel like my options are very limited. Thoughts?

Most of us here are here because we have no access to avian vets. They are a rare bird, pun intended. There are work-arounds when it comes to acquiring antibiotics. I happen to have the word out that I will accept "donations" of any unused human prescription antibiotics. They have proved to be very valuable to have in my refrigerator when a very sick chicken suddenly turns up.

There are some, like sulfa, that are nearly impossible to find without a prescription. So when you have the chance to pick up some like what you posted up above in #116, buy double so you have it on hand just in case this comes up again. Where did you find that? If it's mail order, could you provide a link?

You can transport a chicken a long distance with minimal stress if you provide a cushy non-slip, absorbable pad in her crate, give her dampened food to snack on so no water is necessary, and cover her crate with a light covering so her world is reduced to just inside her crate. Offer her water to drink at hourly intervals when you can stop for a rest.

Most of us here are here because we have no access to avian vets. They are a rare bird, pun intended. There are work-arounds when it comes to acquiring antibiotics. I happen to have the word out that I will accept "donations" of any unused human prescription antibiotics. They have proved to be very valuable to have in my refrigerator when a very sick chicken suddenly turns up.

There are some, like sulfa, that are nearly impossible to find without a prescription. So when you have the chance to pick up some like what you posted up above in #116, buy double so you have it on hand just in case this comes up again. Where did you find that? If it's mail order, could you provide a link?

You can transport a chicken a long distance with minimal stress if you provide a cushy non-slip, absorbable pad in her crate, give her dampened food to snack on so no water is necessary, and cover her crate with a light covering so her world is reduced to just inside her crate. Offer her water to drink at hourly intervals when you can stop for a rest.
I am so happy to hear this will work. I will share the link to this and one other. I'm going to order from 2 places so in case something else falls through, hopefully one will work. I was told by a rep at Valley Vet that anything made by "Thomas Labs" is not available because they are not open, I'm assuming due to the Coronavirus epidemic. "Bird Sulfa" is made by Thomas Labs so it will be next to impossible to find. I'll share the links asap. Thank you

https://www.allivet.com/p-9140-fish-aid-antibiotics-sulfa-tablets.aspx

I just placed an order for this product. They're located in FL, so I'm unsure if they were in the hurricanes path or not. I ordered with next day delivery and I plan to call them tomorrow morning during their business hours to find out. This one is double the strength, so I'm assuming I just mix it with 16 ozs instead of 8ozs.

Back
Top Bottom