Orange yolk?/ homemade feed

Quote:
What a beautiful orange yolk!They have the best flavor.What do you feed your chickens to get that deep of color?
I feed mine layena and some treats and their yolks are much better than gro. store but I am not sure they are that dark.

Dark leafy greens = beta carotene. The same excellent precursor to vitamin A that is in your orange egg yolks. Left to their own devices, chickens will choose greens and bugs and worms (protein), gravel and shells (calcium) which make up their eggs. A little extra protein and calcium will make for more eggs with stronger shells but it probably isn't critical. Orange eggs equals more vitamin A.

A long time ago we use to have a small restaurant and my monther use to give the shrimp shells to our chickens and they had the most orange egg yolks that I had ever seen.

Quote:

I agree with lavacaw in that it is beta carotene which causes the dark yolks.

My hens (who have 6 fields to roam) always produce orange-yellow yolks.

Iheartchicks<3
smile.png
:

This brings me to my next question. Is there any type of homemade feed i could make?

============

I'm looking into that myself (see the link in my signature) but I'm not happy with the answers yet. I'm still thinking it through but I'm thinking that besides the grains and whatever's in the fridge, I'll feed sunflower seeds, spinach, tuna, marigold flowers, and whatever else I can come up with.​

Back
Top Bottom