Orange yolks

My yolks are orange but they aren't a real dark orange like they used to be. I think you might be right about the free ranging. This year with the drought the grass was all dried up and there didn't seem to be as many bugs or worms.
I have fed soaked alfalfa and timothy pellets in the past, especially in winter. You can give that a try also

I decided to go all organic this time and am feeding them what I consider the best Organic feed which is New Country Organics. For some reason this time the yolks are not as dark like they used to be.
Is this feed corn free? Does it have Marigold meal extract?
Both corn and marigold are in most non-organic Starter-Grower and Layer feeds and add color to yolks.

I feed a Non-Medicated Starter-Grower feed to my pullets and hens that contains both. Dried Kelp may add color too. 20200731_184914_resized_kindlephoto-7182888.jpg
My yolks are a nice golden color but have gotten darker since I started to free range my pullets after all 5 started to lay, 5.5 weeks apart.
20201017_103124_resized.jpg

GC

Last edited:
Nutrena Naturewise adds marigold flower extract to their feed, which helps darken yolks. I bought a bunch of pumpkins last week cause they were on sale at aldis. Gave the hens several pumpkins already, & noticed a darker richer looking yolk almost immediately (my hens are free range). Tis the season for pumpkins, so u might try that too, esp since as a bonus pumpkins are very nutritious.
[/QUOT

Thanks I bought some pumpkins today. The girls loved them. Guess I'll have to get some more. Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom