Orchid Growers?

The only orchid that bloomed this year was my moms. I have no idea why none of my orchids will bloom. It's been three years since I bought two of my originals and they are absolute MONSTERS, they just don't grow flower stalks. I was kind of disappointed my very, very first orchid didn't bloom this year. I bought that as a freshmen in college (3 1/2 yrs ago) and it's bloomed both years after, but not this year.

Here's a picture of my original the first year.

n713083084_470119_4617.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
What a deal!!!! Any pictures? Do you have a greenhouse or something because that is a lot of plants! I think my grandma has an orchid cactus.

Quote:
What a deal!!!! Any pictures? Do you have a greenhouse or something because that is a lot of plants! I think my grandma has an orchid cactus.

I do have some pics on my other computer somewhere...lol. Most of the orchid cactus haven't bloomed yet because it usually takes a few years from cuttings from most varieties. I have a makeshift greenhouse that I put up during the winter because it does freeze here sometimes. I don't keep them in there though because all the other tropical plants are in there and I only keep it the bare minimum temp I can get away with to save on heating costs. Most of the time the orchid cactus stays on the covered patio but I bring it in if it gets really cold. The last two nights were around 28 degrees and I just covered them with sheets and there is a roof over them.
Orchid plants (not cactus), I keep in the house because it is just way too cold in the winter here for them. I had a bunch freeze last year so had to start over with them this year.

I finally got my orchid!!!! It's a beautiful gold, purple, and white phalaenopsis hybrid. I'll get some pics up soon! I picked it up for $13 at a local cost-co!

I have only 2 Orchids now, had up to 6 at one time. I have had orchids for years. They are an addictive little plant, I always
want more of them. But with limited window space I have to hold back. I do have a greenhouse window, but it is so old ( 1960's)
that my husband will no longer let me use it because of the heat loss in the winter, and with the cost of heating oil I do not
blame him. When I priced a new one..... it was $2,500.00
ep.gif
. So that ended that thought.
Both of my orchids have flowers.

Back
Top Bottom