Ordered niacin CAPSULES... they sent me TABLETS. advice?

lunyre

In the Brooder
6 Years
5 Years
Jan 23, 2014
I ordered these for my ducklings, and im having difficulty getting them to dissolve.. i can only get about half the tablet to dissolve in water. i mixed it with some brewers yeast and i have about 100-120mg in a gallon of water. I make sure i shake it thoroughly before giving it to them, but theres still a little residue on the bottom now and then.. any fixes i can try? I cant find ANY place to order gel capsules online.. and i havent found them in any pharmacy near me. :/ any advice for any of this?

I would sprinkle it over their food.

I managed to raise healthy ducklings with non-medicated chick feed and nutritional brewers yeast liberally sprinkled on the top.

I ordered these for my ducklings, and im having difficulty getting them to dissolve.. i can only get about half the tablet to dissolve in water. i mixed it with some brewers yeast and i have about 100-120mg in a gallon of water. I make sure i shake it thoroughly before giving it to them, but theres still a little residue on the bottom now and then.. any fixes i can try? I cant find ANY place to order gel capsules online.. and i havent found them in any pharmacy near me. :/ any advice for any of this?
I know they are hard but instead of trying to get them to dissolve crush them before putting them into water, put them into a baggie close it up making sure all air is out and hit with a hammer a few times. Residue is normal.

I would sprinkle it over their food.

I managed to raise healthy ducklings with non-medicated chick feed and nutritional brewers yeast liberally sprinkled on the top.
I'm doing the same. im supplementing with niacin and yeast in both their food and water. its helped them GREATLY with their development issues. no more problem visibly so far. Its just annoying to get the niacin to dissolve.

Last edited:
I know they are hard but instead of trying to get them to dissolve crush them before putting them into water, put them into a baggie close it up making sure all air is out and hit with a hammer a few times. Residue is normal.
Yeah i figured... i'll try mashing it next time and sprinkling it half in the water and half in the food. that way i figure they're still getting it regardless.

I would try placing the tablet in a little water overnight, see if that softens it. Just an idea, I have not done this before. At our place, I have a marble mortar and pestle, and just last night crushed up a mineral pill quite handily. Some people have pill crushers.

I would try placing the tablet in a little water overnight, see if that softens it. Just an idea, I have not done this before. At our place, I have a marble mortar and pestle, and just last night crushed up a mineral pill quite handily. Some people have pill crushers.
I just went and ordered an EzyPill Crusher for like 8 dollars on amazon. that should help.. the one my grandmother uses is the same kind and works decently.

What ya'll don't like my cave man way of crushing a pill?
wink.png

Miss Lydia, you are very likely much more - umm, you probably have more finesse than I do. I fear I would knock the edge off the counter if I tried the hammer approach. Some of us are talented like that.

hahah i may try that hammer way too! but in my experience the bag tends to rip before the pill gets crushed enough. I'll see what comes of it.

Back
Top Bottom