Ordering Bantams with Standards

Iluveggers

Crossing the Road
Jun 27, 2021
NYS
I was originally planning to add 5 standard chicks to my flock next year. Would it be possible to add, say, 3 standard and 4 bantam? Would the space requirements change? Can they live together? I currently have a flock of 10 standard pullets. I really would like bantam Cochins, but I wouldn’t want to just get 1 bantam. Planning to do the look-no-touch starting when they are a few weeks old.

Other suggestions? Just weighing out my options!

Thanks!

Bantam chickens and large chickens can do fine in the same flock. Just like chickens of any other size, there may be some individual bantams that turn out to be bullies or victims, but they generally get along fine with a flock of any size chickens.

The chicks can often be brooded together, but not always. In general, for a small number of chicks in a large brooder, it should not be a problem. But putting just a few bantam chicks in a crowded brooder with lots of big chicks might not work well.

For ordering chicks, some hatcheries will box them together for shipping, and some will not. So you should check the conditions for the particular hatchery you want to order from. If you buy them from somewhare local to you, you don't have to worry about shipping. If your state has a law about how many chicks you must buy at a time, you should be able to count bantams and standards together as "chicks" to meet that minimum (since they are the same species.)

For space, the general rule of thumb is 4 square feet per chicken in the coop, 10 square feet in the run, and 1 linear foot of roost space. Bantams often do fine with half that much space, so you can replace one standard size chicken with two bantams, or two standards with four bantams.

Be aware that most hatcheries do not sell sexed bantams, and if you order straight run chicks you should have a plan to deal with males. Ordering 4 bantam chicks could give you 4 males, or 4 females, or some of each. The more chicks you order, the higher your chance of getting at least some females-- but the more extra chicks you have to rehome or butcher. Yes, you can butcher & eat bantams (male or female). They are small, but quail tend to be even smaller, and some people raise them for meat.

Bantam chickens and large chickens can do fine in the same flock. Just like chickens of any other size, there may be some individual bantams that turn out to be bullies or victims, but they generally get along fine with a flock of any size chickens.

The chicks can often be brooded together, but not always. In general, for a small number of chicks in a large brooder, it should not be a problem. But putting just a few bantam chicks in a crowded brooder with lots of big chicks might not work well.

For ordering chicks, some hatcheries will box them together for shipping, and some will not. So you should check the conditions for the particular hatchery you want to order from. If you buy them from somewhare local to you, you don't have to worry about shipping. If your state has a law about how many chicks you must buy at a time, you should be able to count bantams and standards together as "chicks" to meet that minimum (since they are the same species.)

For space, the general rule of thumb is 4 square feet per chicken in the coop, 10 square feet in the run, and 1 linear foot of roost space. Bantams often do fine with half that much space, so you can replace one standard size chicken with two bantams, or two standards with four bantams.

Be aware that most hatcheries do not sell sexed bantams, and if you order straight run chicks you should have a plan to deal with males. Ordering 4 bantam chicks could give you 4 males, or 4 females, or some of each. The more chicks you order, the higher your chance of getting at least some females-- but the more extra chicks you have to rehome or butcher. Yes, you can butcher & eat bantams (male or female). They are small, but quail tend to be even smaller, and some people raise them for meat.
Thanks! That was great info!

I feel like a kid making a Christmas list, I know I can’t get everything but there’s so many good options to choose! 😂

Thanks! That was great info!

I feel like a kid making a Christmas list, I know I can’t get everything but there’s so many good options to choose! 😂
I ordered bantams and large breeds in the same shipment, and it didn't go well. The large breeds trampled the bantams. But there was also a shipping delay, so that may have contributed.

That said, my flock is mixed breeds and sizes, and everybody gets along just fine!
20221125_085754.jpg

Back
Top Bottom