Ordering chicks in the mail advice

Camilladavisss

Chirping
Dec 12, 2020
I have ordered from (Mt healthy hatchery) and I was wondering if it’s safe to order from them since they are 10 hours away from where I live? Also in the attached picture my order said that my chicks are expected to be shipped April the fourth which is on a Sunday so I wanted to know if they will be shipped on a Sunday because some post offices are closed on a Sunday. But will my chicks be sent out even though some post offices are closed on a Sunday; my local post office is closed on a Sunday. If so will I probably get them Monday or Tuesday? I have never ordered chicks so I’m new to this please answer my questions and fill free to give advice:)

Shiping date: 4/4/2021

Attachments

• 74A30184-E78E-4984-BB93-264E7BD79CDF.jpeg
    74A30184-E78E-4984-BB93-264E7BD79CDF.jpeg
    52.5 KB · Views: 12
I had no issues getting chicks by mail. They pack them in a special box for safe transport, with a heat pack for warmth and hydro gel to reduce stress. Plus they are shipped on hatch day, not the exact date you were given. You will be notified by the hatchery as soon as they are shipped, and can track the delivery for exact arrival time. The post office will call when your chicks arrive & are ready for pickup (typically between 5-7 am). I didn't wait for the call, because I didn't want my chicks sitting around for an hour. I just showed up as soon as I saw on tracking that they had arrived. The PO looked closed when I got there & this confused me at first, but there is always someone inside and they will bring your chicks out when you if you enter and knock on the delivery door. I would call your local PO in advance to see what their procedures are and where exactly you should go knocking on the morning of delivery.

It will depend on how quickly usps gets them to you. I’ve had two small orders in the last 6 weeks. First took around 60 hours to get them, from utah to California, and 3/5 died within 48 hours. Second bath of 8 was received within 18 hours.. honestly couldnt believe how fast it was and all 8 are thriving.

I've ordered chicks, ducks, & misc youngsters for decades from a hatchery 600-700 miles away that takes 12 hours to drive & not even once did I have any DOA. They were all healthy, lively, & claimed that they they could eat a horse but none ever did. I bought from McMurray's Hatchery in Iowa when I lived there many decades ago & every time I want to start another flock in Arkansas I've ordered from them.

I've ordered chicks, ducks, & misc youngsters for decades from a hatchery 600-700 miles away that takes 12 hours to drive & not even once did I have any DOA. They were all healthy, lively, & claimed that they they could eat a horse but none ever did. I bought from McMurray's Hatchery in Iowa when I lived there many decades ago & every time I want to start another flock in Arkansas I've ordered from them.
I've used them in the past with excellent results however last time I ordered chicks from someone else and half my order was wrong.(I ordered all of the same breed and gender) I'll be using McMurray's from here on!

Back
Top Bottom