ordering chicks

GeneralSV

Chirping
Apr 7, 2019
I have never ordered chickens online before, but I might plan to. However, how does it work? Is it guaranteed that it's safe for the chick? If so, what sites do you recommend? Also, do I have to pick up the chicks? Where?

They come to your post office..it’s safe,they come in special packages.... and typically they guarantee them for a day or so.. I think it was 48 hrs...if something happens, they replace them. I like Metzers farm...but, I’ve only bought ducks from them

I have had experiences with ordering chicks online, and I say go for it! We have never had a chick die in transit, and the only problem we've had is that a company accidentally doubled our order in a computer issue but worked out fine and we were able to give them away. I HIGHLY recommend mypetchicken.com, their website is user-friendly, they have low minimum orders, lots of breeds, and they don't add unwanted chicks (a huge plus for backyard owners).

How it works: You place an order and pay for your chicks online. You pick an approximate date you would like the chicks to arrive, the breed and gender, and if you want your chicks vaccinated against common diseases, and they contact you when your chicks are in transit. They will go to the post office, where you can pick them up and bring them home! The chicks are mailed soon after they hatch, or when they're pullets, depending on what age you pick. I have had a high success rate with this company and so far their sexing has been accurate as well.

Safety: Safety is not guaranteed, but most companies will refund/send more chicks if there are any in-transit health problems. I have ordered twice and not had any problems.

Pickup: You pick up your chicks at the post office. I think either the hatchery or post office will call you when the chicks arrive!

Where are you located? As extreme weather can impact USPS delivery, I would look for an online hatchery in your region, as that's more likely to ensure a quick delivery (3 days or less). They're fine in shipment and most hatcheries have some kind of guarantee.

I have never ordered chickens online before, but I might plan to. However, how does it work? Is it guaranteed that it's safe for the chick? If so, what sites do you recommend? Also, do I have to pick up the chicks? Where?
I know there is a couple if you search on Google. I was actually thinking about how do they deliver them. what if the chicks get stressed... is it safe? how much will it cause? :):):)

There's no way to "guarantee" the chicks will be safe as once they're in transit, it's really out of their hands, but most hatcheries will replace any losses within a certain time period (like first 48 hrs) either with more chicks or a refund. To improve their chances it's best to plan your shipment for when the weather is more stable (spring being the most popular time).

I personally can't stand the thought of having losses and don't want more than 3 or 4 chicks at a time anyhow, so I don't mind paying the upcharge to get chicks from the feed store, most of which order from the same big hatcheries.

I have had experiences with ordering chicks online, and I say go for it! We have never had a chick die in transit, and the only problem we've had is that a company accidentally doubled our order in a computer issue but worked out fine and we were able to give them away. I HIGHLY recommend mypetchicken.com, their website is user-friendly, they have low minimum orders, lots of breeds, and they don't add unwanted chicks (a huge plus for backyard owners).

How it works: You place an order and pay for your chicks online. You pick an approximate date you would like the chicks to arrive, the breed and gender, and if you want your chicks vaccinated against common diseases, and they contact you when your chicks are in transit. They will go to the post office, where you can pick them up and bring them home! The chicks are mailed soon after they hatch, or when they're pullets, depending on what age you pick. I have had a high success rate with this company and so far their sexing has been accurate as well.

Safety: Safety is not guaranteed, but most companies will refund/send more chicks if there are any in-transit health problems. I have ordered twice and not had any problems.

Pickup: You pick up your chicks at the post office. I think either the hatchery or post office will call you when the chicks arrive!
Check around though...we have two major "tractor supply/hardware" type stores close by that have chicks in the spring. One guarantees females and will replace any cockerels we get but the other one does not. Guess who we will buy from? :D

The chicks are usually freshly hatched, they can last a few days without eating since they still have the remaining yolk. As for stress, young things don't stress too easily, they don't know enough to be stressed. I'm pretty sure shipping adult chickens like the ship chicks would be bad.
I know there is a couple if you search on Google. I was actually thinking about how do they deliver them. what if the chicks get stressed... is it safe? how much will it cause? :):):)

I ordered chicks from Meyer Hatchery. All 13 arrived alive and well within about 24 hours of being shipped. They were all sexed correctly (pullets) and seem to be good layers. They would probably not win many shows, and I probably would not pick them as breeding stock, but they are more than suitable for me, and they are calm and friendly. If I decide not to mail-order the next time, it will probably be because of my experiences with my local post office, not Meyer. My feelings toward my local USPS are not very warm.

Back
Top Bottom