Ordering more-Quick! What to get?

heatherma

Hatching
10 Years
Feb 22, 2009
We currently have 2 EE and 2 BO almost 4 months old. I had my heart set on getting some Salmon Favorelles but will not be available for a long while. So maybe some other time.
We will be getting 2 Black Australorps and 2 Delaware day-old pullets and now I have to pick only One more breed. (For layers only).

My goal here is a variety of colors in my flock since I can only have 10 hens. All are selected for egg laying, temperament, and color of eggs (is that wrong? I just love brown eggs and thought different shades would be fun).

Rhode Island Red (heard they are good layers but don't seem very interesting color-wise)

Welsummer (love the egg color but aren't heavy layers - some think it is just a fad as some of the color can come off)

Golden Laced Wyandotte (Love the bird coloring, eggs seem very light almost white not brown though)

Barred Plymouth Rocks (nice shape and coloring, eggs vary a lot)

Need opinions Please!

i personally dont like wyandottes (JMO)
rocks come in lots of different colors.. buff, white, barred, ect
RIR.. they are always a good stand-by,, nice personalities too
never had a welsummer,,,, but i love my marans

here are my BR eggs if it helps

15667_picture_67.jpg

Last edited:
#1..personalities.. just bland...
#2 and all of mine have always been the first ones to turn into egg eaters... i dont know why.. i have 80 chickens, all different breeds ,, why is it always the wyandottes always eat the eggs first??? i have one now SLW i HAVE to keep her beak cut or i will have eggs with all the insides gone.. and i dont want her teaching others..
just my bad luck i guess:D

Last edited:
im the total opposite i just love wyans as they are very nice looking both the gold and silver laced and prolific egg layers the egg color may not be to your liking but they are a good breed, well good luck with what ever you choose

Thanks for the posts so far. I am such a newbie at this and it's already an addiction. This is agonizing having to choose!

A few more opinions please?
I am leaning towards Barred Plymouth Rocks right now, possibly Golden Buffs. Would love a Maran but have heard their hardiness and temperaments vary a lot...anyone experience this?

I suppose I could wait a few more months to order and get the Salmon Favorelles - they just seem like lovely birds all around. Our current flock being a few months older won't make much difference right?

if you are new,, get a couple different breeds give yourself time to find your favorite..

i have had chickens my whole life,, i have several "favorite breeds"
i will never be without a small flock of ameracaunas.. i love my cochins.. i love my banties (several breeds)
this is my first time owning marans, i really like them too...

Back
Top Bottom