mdees88

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Mar 15, 2018
Lower Alabama
My Coop
My Coop
Just wanted to share my experience with ordering eggs off of the internet from Myshire Quality Quail Farm. I originally saw their videos on youtube and then found their website. It seemed like a well kept, family run quail farm from the videos.

You find mixed reviews when it comes to ordering eggs online. Some people make it sound like it is not worth the money and you'll have a terrible hatch rate. Maybe I just got lucky but time will tell as I have 200 more eggs in the incubator now.

On 3-26 I ordered 50 Italian Coturnix quails from Myshire Farm. The eggs shipped on 3-27 and were delivered on 3-31. They shipped from Ohio to Alabama (about 800 miles). I ordered 50 eggs and received 60. One had a small crack so I set 59 eggs on 3-31. On 4-14 I candled the eggs and had 9 clear ones. This left 50 eggs at lockdown. I ended up hatching all 50 quail on 4-17 and 4-18. I couldn't be more pleased and I HIGHLY recommend doing business with them...

http://myshirefarm.com/index.php/product-category/eggs/

20180417_203312.jpg
Screenshot_2018-04-18-13-07-19.png

Here's a 1 day old Italian next to an 18 day old Jumbo Brown. They grow FAST!!!

20180418_150711.jpeg

Last edited:
Yep. If you follow my aviary thread, the 120 I incubated in March were from Myshire, and so were the 120 I have hatching as we speak. I am in WA State, so shipped a lot farther than @mdees88. I got both of my shipments from them via Ebay. They list both on their own site and on Ebay. Very high hatch rates for me.

Part of the first hatch....
PXLyDhi.jpg

Second hatch (happening right now)....

KNfAXYn.jpg

I need someone I can get small batches, like a dozen. Do you know anyone like that? My first batch came from Orchard Hill Poultry in Griffin, Ga. I was very pleased with their service, as well as the eggs. Just looking for a different source to keep for breeding.

I found hatching eggs for jumbo browns 3 dollars a dozen on Craigslist. You may check your local Craigslist. You would not have to pay for shipping, and shipped eggs have lower hatch rates in general.

My first quail I ever hatched were from Orchard hill. I have 100 in my incubator from them now.

You could give ebay a try but you really don't know know what your getting. My eggs from Orchard hill were all 13-16grams, definitely jumbo eggs... you could also order 50 and just eat some, or feed them to your quails. They loved scrambled eggs...

I bought jumbos from Orchard hill and James Marie farms to establish my breeders. James Marie birds are high dollar though...

Craigslist might be a good option...

I need someone I can get small batches, like a dozen. Do you know anyone like that? My first batch came from Orchard Hill Poultry in Griffin, Ga. I was very pleased with their service, as well as the eggs. Just looking for a different source to keep for breeding.

I would just order 50 assuming some wont be fertile, some wont hatch, and some will have defects. Sell off any extra chicks after a few days of observation for strength on Craigslist. But I might not be the best person to ask since I wanted to keep about 20 total from my hatching and I incubated 240 eggs over the last 2 months. Haha. Yikes....I have a lot to get rid of....

I agree I had an excellent hatch from Myshire. They were very generous with extra eggs. I'm in Nv so quite a ways to ship.

However: The temperament of the Italians I received was poor at best. I breed for temperament. An absolute must and size. I culled just about every bird due to severe attacking of other birds (scalping). I'm down to 3 birds from 44 (sold ten males) and one is kinda a nut. Would I buy from them again? Not so sure I would.

I agree I had an excellent hatch from Myshire. They were very generous with extra eggs. I'm in Nv so quite a ways to ship.

However: The temperament of the Italians I received was poor at best. I breed for temperament. An absolute must and size. I culled just about every bird due to severe attacking of other birds (scalping). I'm down to 3 birds from 44 (sold ten males) and one is kinda a nut. Would I buy from them again? Not so sure I would.
My Italians are about 4.5 weeks old now. At 3 weeks I separated the males from the females. I have 20 females in an 9 sq ft cage and 25 males in a 8 sq ft cage. Surprising I have not had any issues with the males. I have had some pecking problems with the females. I had 2 birds with bloody wings. I watched for a while and found an aggressive one and culled it. The next day I found another aggressive one and culled it. For the last 3 days I have had no more problems with the females.

I love the colors of the Italians but I am going to stick with the jumbo pharaohs and won't be getting any more Italians myself.

Back
Top Bottom