oregano oil effective against mites/ lice?

chicknmania

Free Ranging
17 Years
Jan 26, 2007
central Ohio
Most know that oregano oil can have many uses. I read an article that said that oregano oil is useful in killing lice in cattle. I just wonder how effective it is against lice/ mites in poultry, if given orally (in drinking water) over a period of days.

I do give our flock oregano oil periodically in their water. Would oregano oil interact with 1% injectible Ivermectin, if it's also given orally? (I want to give some Ivermec to our peas for face lice, and I always give it to them orally in a treat, it works well)

There is tons of misinformation regarding herbal remedies for everyday issues - I interpret these things as being supportive of a healthy immune system / parasite repellent. However, oregano oil may be a deterrent to external parasites but it’s not going to prevent a serious infestation or stop one. Parasites are extremely adaptive and really need chemical treatment. I don’t oppose using herbs, I just try and manage my expectations and observe what nature tells me, and in my experience parasites need chemical intervention. If you think about it, if these remedies worked everyone would use them and there would be no parasite issues. Unfortunately, nothing is never that easy.

There is tons of misinformation regarding herbal remedies for everyday issues - I interpret these things as being supportive of a healthy immune system / parasite repellent. However, oregano oil may be a deterrent to external parasites but it’s not going to prevent a serious infestation or stop one. Parasites are extremely adaptive and really need chemical treatment. I don’t oppose using herbs, I just try and manage my expectations and observe what nature tells me, and in my experience parasites need chemical intervention. If you think about it, if these remedies worked everyone would use them and there would be no parasite issues. Unfortunately, nothing is never that easy.
yes, I realize that, thank you. I wasn't looking at it as a total cure. That's why I wondered how it would interact with Ivermectin, which I always use for face lice. I was just curious how effective it was because of the article I read re how it works in cattle.

Actually, if you did the research, you would find that some poultry breeders and others who prefer not to use antibiotics, regularly provide oregano in drinking water or feed for their flocks. Many natural remedies can be very powerful for a number of things. For our flock I always use tried and true commercial dewormers or other pesticides if there is a definite problem, but we often use natural solutions in between, and I do feel they are effective in helping to keep our flock healthy. In addition to oregano (which is sold in feed stores) think ACV, Diatomaceous Earth, and similar products. All popular sellers. Also wood ash is excellent in dust baths.

My girls have ACV (apple cider vinegar ) in all of their water. Unfortunately they have been boarded for the winter and now are having small issues that I am addressing. Trying to make sure they are free of pests is one of them. My austalorp has white flecks on her face and I'm not sure what it is , I treated all the chickens tonight with eprinex I will let you know the results if my girl still has speckles on her head tomorrow . Ivermectin has a withdrawal of 46 days Eprinex doesn't have a withdrawal period. I also use elector psp. We will see. I will update later

Back
Top Bottom