Oregano oil for chickens

You can make your own herb infused olive oils by filling a jar with whatever herb you have fresh and then pouring the oil in until it reaches the top. Put a secure lid on and set it out in the sun for 10-14 days and then strain the herb leaves out. Very cost effective especially if you grow your own herbs.

I was going to try chopping up fresh oregano. Has anyone tried that or read if it's effective? Also, someone mentioned de-worming... Pumpkin seeds and oregano are both great for killing parasites.

Which is better fresh or oil oregano for my chickens?

The compound carvacrol found in oregano has been found to stimulate the immune system of the gut of chickens (along with capsaicin in hot peppers and cinnealdehyde in cinnamon). The highest concentration is found in the oil. That being said, I will feed minced hot peppers, oregano leaves, and garlic to my chicks about once weekly while in the brooder (and give the adults the leftovers) instead of going for essential oils...the oils are potent stuff and you can overdose if not careful.

Oregano is in the mint family and really easy to grow in the garden to provide a cheap, continuous supply.

I was planning on making my own oregano oil to put in my chickens water. Would leaves be better? I do put spearmint in there water from time to time with no issues

If they'll eat the leaves, it would be my preference to provide it that way. Lots of other good nutrition in the leaves that might not come out in the oil, plus you get the compounds in them before any degrade. If they won't eat greenery (or if you don't have access to the whole plant...wintertime for example) then administering it via the drinking water is fine.

I got oregano oil at First Vet Supply. My Pet Chicken also has it. .6ml per gallon water.
Lots of good reviews on it's use. Can use every day.

Back
Top Bottom