Oregon Fall Poultry Swap - October 22 - Corvallis @ the Fairgrounds!!!

Is anyone in the market for a Splash Copper Marans Roo? I have a boy who's super sweet and too pretty to eat! I've had two CLs flake on me!
roll.png
surprise right?!?!? I really need to get some of these boys out!

Man, if only you knew they were roosters inside of eggs, I'd take them! I really wish I had a way to quarantine! Roosters available left and right, and I NEED a LARGE rooster that can spend the rest of his life watching dozens of girls on the range!!!

Plus... if I could quarantine... I would know what I'm getting...

If you are serious about quarantining, you can buy a used dog kennel on CL pretty inexpensively. Tie a tarp over the top for shade and to keep the rain off, and a rooster could live comfortably in that for a couple of weeks at this time of year.

I use dog kennels, the welded ones, not the chain link, for my night runs. I've got stock panels over the top to keep critters out.

I've also got another kennel set up with shade cloth over it for raising my plants that can't take full sun. That's to keep the bunnies out, but it is secure and that is my quarantine house.

Of course with ducks, I can put my plants up on tables and ducks don't fly.

A kennel is a one time purchase and good forever. I seem to find a lot of uses for my kennel panels. I had kennel panels across the roll-up garage door so I could reduce the heat in the garage where I've got my brooder. It got blast furnace hot in there this summer if the door was closed. With the door open, the predators could have gotten in to eat my ducklings. A couple of panels solved that issue.

Hi all!

Does anyone have/or know where I can get 1 or 2 young silkie hens?

Story (
tongue.png
) : We first got chickens last December. My little girl fell in LOVE! They were a started flock that we got on CL and she was just head over heels. Early this spring we got chicks and out of those we got 2 silkies especially for her. Unfortunately they both turned out to be roos. Even more unfortunate we had a bad experience with a couple of the roos here (we had 5). One went after her and gave her a nasty cut on the leg so he was banished immediately and then the last straw was one of the others went after a hen so badly that her upper beak and tongue were torn off. My daughter was the one that found her and while my husband was consoling her he said the roos HAD to go! We now have no more silkies.
So, to the point of the story, my daughters 9th birthday is tomorrow. Yesterday she handed me her want list for her birthday and on the top of the list? HENS!
big_smile.png
She's looked at lots of pictures here on the forum with me, her favorites are the silkies and the polish. From my understanding, polish would be too skittish for her. I would really rather not do chicks in the house again plus I know how hard it is to sex silkies. So I'd like young hens if I can find them but that's proving to be very difficult. Anyone have any ideas where I might find some? Oh and some that are a better quality than the poor things I got from the farm store this spring? I guess they were silkies but they looked nothing like the ones at the last swap.
wink.png
Thanks all.

Didn't feel like editing so I'll just post again to add...

I'm also open to ideas on other types of chickens she might like. Right now her absolute favorite of our flock is the lav. amer. that we got from Cloverleaf. She named her Darla and loves to hold her! We also have a super friendly EE that will actually croak like a frog and run towards DD when she goes to the coop, wanting to be picked up. But I'm thinking a bantam sized would be better.

And I know you all are Serama enablers
lol.png
but I can't go that direction. They need to be outside. Plus DD gets her serama fill when we babysit for Jibs' seramas. That's enough for us on indoor chickens.
smile.png

Quote:
Yeah... apartments, aka concrete boxes, are terrible to live in. No matter how many small pets I add, and how much vegetation I can manage to coat on the north facing balcony, it is almost unbearable. I can't wait to graduate and get out of here!

I have a 4x8 quarantine coop/tractor back home, but can't leave it up to parents/brother to do it properly as I'm not there. Last time I had a silkie quarantined my brother let it out 2 days later when I went back to Oregon.... Luckily the bird was healthy and nothing happened.

@ Slurrywidow, she might like cochins! They are squishy calm birds for the most part.

I have some quarantine questions. I know if I fail to resist new chickens at the swap that I need to consider biosecurity... but what to do?
I really do not want another coop/run. I do have these nice, large, unoccupied rabbit hutches I use as the hospital wing/brooder/stubborn broody time out. But they are in the yard my chickens free range in. I know I would have to keep my birds from lounging under the rabbit cages, as they frequently do, but what else do I need to think about? I need to make my temporary setup convenient to manage or I will never be allowed to get more chickens in the future. There just isn't anywhere convenient to put them except close to the others, which defeats the purpose, right? How much distance is needed to be effective? What are the NEEDs of a quarentine pen?

I don't know the true fast rules on it, but this is just what I do. I try and keep my quarantine pen on the other side of the property or fenced in from the rest who roam, such as in the garden where the rest aren't supposed to go. It's not perfect as any air borne illness could still make it past a distance barrier, but prevents lice infestations, that's for sure. I feed and water the current flock before the quarantine birds to reduce any potential direct feather/dust/poop contact too. Haven't ever had an issue other than mites/lice with quarantine birds, so can't say how much protection quarantine across the "yard" or in the garden has against things like respiratory illness or viral diseases. My quarantine pens are essentially just my grow out pens/tractors. Nothing special. Just watch the bids for their condition, their poop, and bugs in their feathers for a month or so. My flock is not vaccinated and I tend to only hatch or get day old chicks hatched artificially.

Plus, I find that quarantine allows for the new bird/birds to adjust to their new habitat and local pests/bugs/parasites prior to the gauntlet of resident birds which can be down right mean to newcomers.

Back
Top Bottom