Oregon

Matt I bet there were probably more "SERIOUS" breeders at the spring swap than you were aware of. BTW I wish you woulda stopped by to say Hi since ya were there. I missed ya at the swap and PNPA show in Vancouver. IF by chance any of you decide you want to check out the Faverolles. Cloverleaf Farm is a VERY good source for AWESOME birds like FUDGE. This is also Fudge and Peaches. From Cloverleaf Farm. I now own both of them. I also have Bantam Faverolles in Black, Blue, Salmon and Buff. All from Cloverleaf Farm!!
Cloverleaf doesn't breed white favs though right?

Re: Farwest Hatchery

I replied to this ad months ago as I work from home and thought it may be an additional revenue source. It took forever to get anyone to answer the phone. When I did get an answer, I was told that he was inundated with phone calls and basically too busy to follow up with me. What he did tell me was that I if I were to produce eggs for his hatchery that I would have to meet certain criteria with my facilities and that I couldn't have people over to visit. I asked him to send me the necessary information so that I could look over the specific required conditions. He said that I should call back with my information so that he could mail it to me. I e-mailed instead, as he made it very clear that there were too many phone calls for me to likely get through again. I never received any follow up information. I didn't pursue it as I love my birds and free range everything. From what I understood from that brief conversation, I would likely have to keep my hatchery breeders penned up most, if not all, of the time. And that's no way for a bird to live.

On a separate note, I decided to get into ducks this year and had 6 full months of incubation. I have many drakes that are ready for butcher, but I'm looking for a buyer. I currently have 15 khaki campbell drakes (~4 pounds each), I will have 5-8 rouen drakes in a few weeks (8-9 pounds each), and in a few months will have 10(?) welsh harlequin drakes ready for butcher. I'd love to find a local restaurant or farmer's outlet store to partner with, as extra drakes will be an ongoing thing. I also have meat rabbits, muscovies, and the occasional goat, and have a few friends who also raise rabbits and are looking for a buyer. Would welcome any suggestions you have. I'm in the Salem area. As the khakis are driving the girls crazy, sooner is better. Thanks!

Hi there =) I'm a former Oregonian...Astoria to be exact ;) Now residing in SW WA can never get too far from home LOL! Anyway, I just had to pop in when I saw Chicken Rustler's Roo in the bottom pic!! Gorgeous!! I have just 7 chickens including the 4 chicks....5 Ameracauna and 2 Silver Spangled Hamburgs I only have one pic of the Hamburgs, I''ll get out later to get a better one
Matt I bet there were probably more "SERIOUS" breeders at the spring swap than you were aware of. BTW I wish you woulda stopped by to say Hi since ya were there. I missed ya at the swap and PNPA show in Vancouver.

IF by chance any of you decide you want to check out the Faverolles. Cloverleaf Farm is a VERY good source for AWESOME birds like FUDGE.

This is also Fudge and Peaches. From Cloverleaf Farm. I now own both of them.

I also have Bantam Faverolles in Black, Blue, Salmon and Buff. All from Cloverleaf Farm!!

On a separate note, I decided to get into ducks this year and had 6 full months of incubation. I have many drakes that are ready for butcher, but I'm looking for a buyer. I currently have 15 khaki campbell drakes (~4 pounds each), I will have 5-8 rouen drakes in a few weeks (8-9 pounds each), and in a few months will have 10(?) welsh harlequin drakes ready for butcher. I'd love to find a local restaurant or farmer's outlet store to partner with, as extra drakes will be an ongoing thing. I also have meat rabbits, muscovies, and the occasional goat, and have a few friends who also raise rabbits and are looking for a buyer. Would welcome any suggestions you have. I'm in the Salem area. As the khakis are driving the girls crazy, sooner is better. Thanks!

I have zero clue if this is a viable option, but these guys are based in Oregon and have a big catalog of specialty meats. It might be worth contacting them!

http://www.nickyusa.com/

If you do contact them, can you let us know what they said?

Last edited:
Matt I bet there were probably more "SERIOUS" breeders at the spring swap than you were aware of. BTW I wish you woulda stopped by to say Hi since ya were there. I missed ya at the swap and PNPA show in Vancouver. IF by chance any of you decide you want to check out the Faverolles. Cloverleaf Farm is a VERY good source for AWESOME birds like FUDGE. This is also Fudge and Peaches. From Cloverleaf Farm. I now own both of them. I also have Bantam Faverolles in Black, Blue, Salmon and Buff. All from Cloverleaf Farm!!
There might be, I saw a few, and maybe two or three others. And then looking at the quality...I don't think there's much crossover if you take an exhibitor list from PNPA or WFF and then look at the swap meet vendor list. I really like those Favorelles. A lot you see these days seem to have forgotten type so always happy to see you post yours.

Cloverleaf doesn't breed white favs though right?
Large fowl, no. I got the last of Dick Boulangers bantam whites shipped to me last year, and all died in transit except for one pullet. I've been trying to get some decent chicks out of her with a black male, to make some that are split for white, but had to switch males, ran into some other issues, and it and it's just one thing after another...I have one of her son's now that's almost mature enough to breed...keeping my fingers crossed...;)

Thank you to everyone for the recommendations on breeds and breeders. I started in turkeys with broad breasted and will not go the meat bird route again. I am very much interested in a dual purpose chicken that I can keep the roos to raise up for meat.

Thank you to everyone for the recommendations on breeds and breeders.  I started in turkeys with broad breasted and will not go the meat bird route again.  I am very much interested in a dual purpose chicken that I can keep the roos to raise up for meat.

If you know what sort of other qualities you are looking for in a dual purpose breed, we can make more specific recommendations, if you'd like. :)

Back
Top Bottom