Oregon

We had some winds down here yesterday and very light showers. I like it when we get a gradual change of seasons, not this flipping a switch and it's hot or cold.

I need to hang the greenhouse plastic around my runs but it has been in the 70's and much to warm for the plastic, since they are all bald from molting it might have been OK in hind sight.

I'm not sure I'll be wrapping my run with plastic. The way we designed out coop/run is the girls have an 8'x8' "open" run (framed out, surrounded by wire, and roofed with corrugated plastic), but there is also 2'hx8'Lx4'w space under the coop. They like going under there to get out of the weather. We have straw in the run, and we keep it raked up in rows along the wire under the coop for a wind barrier. The valley rarely gets to bad in the winter (although we are due a bad one). I think I'll let the girls tell me if they need more protection. Example: hanging out in the coop more than enjoying they're time in the run. Until then I'm not gonna worry about it...much :)

Do any of you guys keep roosters in unincorporated Washington County? This would be places like the outskirts of Beaverton, Aloha, Bethany, Tigard, unincorporated Hillsboro etc.. Are you guys aware that they're signing in an ordinance that bans them completely within urban growth boundaries? http://www.co.washington.or.us/LUT/Divisions/CurrentPlanning/CodeCompliance/roosters.cfm

And here are two news article on it. http://portlandtribune.com/bvt/15-news/161765-neighbors-crow-for-new-rooster-rules
http://www.koin.com/news/washington-county/washington-co-considers-rooster-ban This one has a link to check if your property falls under the boundaries of urban growth/unincorporated etc.

I don't know if it'd help at all, but I've been submitting letters asking for reconsideration of the proposal, or at least considering it being more of a noise ordinance (between certain hours). I keep my roosters in a garage at night and let them out at a reasonable hour. I know other urban rooster keepers have sound proofed their coops, etc. I currently board my roosters in Vancouver but I was hoping to find a rental in Aloha where I could keep them. This ordinance ruins any chance of me being able to live in an urban/suburban area with them. I feel that bringing them in at night is my compromise for being able to have them, and to be respectful of neighbors. They're dear pets of mine so I can't just send them to freezer camp or dump them on craigslist.

If you guys would be interested in contributing to the discussion in a positive and constructive way, you can call or email the board of commissioners here: http://www.co.washington.or.us/BOC/Commissioners/index.cfm

It also feels unfair to me that the general public doesn't know about the passage of these ordinances (or are able to participate!) because I feel there would be many responsible poultry keepers who would have a thing or two to say, as opposed to the one person cheesed enough to rain on everyone else's parade. And then what about all the people who *don't* complain and are ok with the roosters?

Thoughts?

Oregon has some of the worst land use laws in the country, and Washington County is the worst of the worst. The flip side of that is there has been a fair amount of re-zoning of residential property to Exclusive Farm Use property ... much of that property is right up against the UGB, maybe even some of it is inside the UGB.

I live on a farm in the suburbs of Washington County. No, I don't have a Max stop I can walk to. No, there isn't a Whole Foods I can walk to. No, there isn't a Starbucks I can walk to. There aren't even sidewalks to walk on. But public transportation/Starbucks/Target are about 4 miles away and there are lots of "farms" closer to my town than mine, and they can also have roosters on their property. Our farm is surrounded by smaller lots ... not many "real" farmers in this farm zone. The politics of why "they" call suburban properties "farms" are mind-numbingly revolting.

What I'm trying to say is: don't give up. If you're willing to drive a short distance for your City Life Amenities, you can have roosters in Washington County.

If you need a good local real-estate agent, I know some.

Last edited:
...I ran to Target and purchased 4 clear shower liners for $2.24 each. We are using them to cover our run tomorrow.....sure hope it keeps the wind, rain and snow out of the run.
Now that is a good idea!
yippiechickie.gif
I might have to do something like that while I construct the big new coop this fall/winter.

Fought the elements and got the shower liners up. Really cold and windy so ended up attaching two together to make it strong enough so didn't have enough to do the entire run but it stopped the wind coming directly into coop. It's better than what they had so at least we are moving in the right direction. We are heading to Bend this week so hoping we get either more liners or heavy plastic from Home Depot.

Back
Top Bottom