Oregon

Very cool thekla!!

Where are you getting your chicks from locally?

Sounds like you'll have a nice mixture!!
smile.png

Bil

Howdy all! I'm yet another urbanite in Portland that just got chickens! We picked up 2 babies on March 5 (Buff Orp and an Australorp) and 2 more on April 1 (Salmon Faverolles and a RIR). They all get along fabulously despite the difference in age/size. The big uns are quickly getting sick of our dog kennel brooder!

The older chicks will be 2 months old in early May. When do you think would be a good time to turn them loose in their new outdoor digs? (Provided DH finishes the darn thing already!). Do you think it will be warm enough to move them all outside at the same time around mid May without a warming light? Do ya'll do the hardening off thing where you let them out there during the day but bring them in at night for a few days?

Thanks for all and any advice!

My girls were 8 weeks when they went to live outside in the middle of February. I had planned on "hardening" them, but it didn't quite work out that way. Anyway, I was worried sick about them all night and they were just fine in the morning. So, yes, I think mid- May would be fine!

frow.gif

Well I am technically an Washingtonian but live in Vancouver and work at St Vincent Hospital.... so I feel like I am an honorary Oregonian.

Sure is nice to have so many "neighbors" intersted in chickens here in the NW!
frow.gif

Hey I am wondering if anyone is having bad HAWK problems ???
sad.png
Our HUGE RIR roo disapeared on Tuesday. No sign of struggle / feathers.....nada. I am thinking a hawk must have gotten him. I see hawks around but they have never bothered us. We have had chickens for a year with no problems what so ever!! My chickens free range on 5 acres during the day and are locked up at night. We live outside of Canby..... rural flat open farmland...... Can anyone advise of there hawk problems in the area ????

Thanks!

Edited for spelling
tongue.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom