Oregon

Quote:
I don't know where they get their chicks, but the Grange Co-op in Grants Pass sure had a lot of variety and soooo cute. I can't tell you how hard it was to resist those bantams!

Quote:
Don't worry about picking all roosters out of straight run... I have a knack for picking all roosters out of an order of pullets.
roll.png

lau.gif

Apparently I am not the only one who has a hard time resisting the "bin o' bantams" because my husband just came home with four! Knowing nothing about them, I am guessing two are cochins (maybe even blues), one is a porcelin d'uncle, and the other is still a mystery except for the fluffy feet.

There is Ahart Acres. I don't know if you have checked them out already, they are a little over two hours away from you in Lebanon, Or. www.ahartacres.com. St. run, 4 dollars per duckling if you pick up, 5 dollars shipped.

Last edited:
Well, I can answer my own question - my local Grange Co-Op (and apparently the one in Medford, too) get their chicks from Privett Hatchery. Can't say I'm impressed with Privett, as so far 4 of my 6 "sexed pullets" aren't pullets. I'd have expected at least one or maybe two out of six, but four? That's the way the chicken, errr, bounces, I suppose.

Have an ad up on Craigslist offering them for free, but, judging by all the other ads, this isn't going to work. I went into the idea of having chickens knowing that, at some point, it would be necessary to put a chicken down (because of illness or injury), but I really wasn't expecting to have to do it just because I have too many roos.

FYI all Oregonians:

I will be bringing lots of started chicks to the show in Stevenson, WA this weekend. I have some chicks that are about a month old and have some that are hatching as we speak.

Lots of different varieties, NPIP certified.

Hi fellow Oregonians, I'm in Portland and am new to chicken keeping and BYC. I have three pullets (fingers crossed!) in a Garden Ark that I saw on last year's coop tour. My chickens are SLW, RIR and EE, named Quiche, Omelet and Scramble. I am getting worried that Scramble is a cockerel... is it true that EEs are among the hardest to sex? I'll have to post pics.

Back
Top Bottom