ORGANIC CHICKEN FEED

werblessd1s

Songster
12 Years
Jun 6, 2007
NORTH FLORIDA
I TRY TO FEED MY FAMILY MOSTLY ORGANIC FOOD, AND I WOULD LIKE TO START FEEDING THE CHICKENS ORGANIC FEED. NONE OF THE FEED STORES IN MY AREA SELL ORGANIC FEED. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE I COULD ORDER SOME THAT'S NOT TOO TERRIBLY EXPENSIVE. OR POSSIBLY MAKE MY OWN IF I COULD FIND THE INGREDIANTS IN BULK.
smile.png

Thanks for all your time and concern, dlhunicorn.

I'm fortunate enough to have an amazing holistic vet for our dogs who also specializes in avian medicine. I was able to speak with him last week about our upcoming chicks/chickens. He agreed with and encouraged my avoidance of the vaccinations and medicated feed.

While I realize there is always some risk involved with a choice such as this, it is a risk I am willing to take. This is how we approach the care of our other pets and ourselves and child, too. I realize that it's a different philosophy than many people take and can be difficult to understand.

Luckily, sounds like CFS's starter and grower feeds are good quality organic feeds. Again, I'll post after I've tried them to let you know. Also, I might have found a possible source for organic feeds a little closer to home. (fingers crossed) I posted a reply to a listing at craigslist regarding organic eggs. They told me I might find organic feed in a neighboring town; here's hoping!

Quote:
Similar reasons for making that decision for myself. Luckily by the time we had our child, we'd found our MD and several other health professionals to support us on this route (including no vaccs). I sometimes get frustrated defending our position and often follow a "don't ask, don't tell" approach. Unless someone really wants to do battle about it, in which case the gloves come off and the research comes out.
smile.png

There haven't been any other birds on our property (well, except for wild songbirds... which you could argue is a risk), so that's helpful. But again, having the support of a vet you trust, who is on the same page as you philosophically, is HUGE for us. We know he's only a call away if we have any questions. In the meantime, we'll do what we can to keep our environment for the chicks clean and feed and care for them well, just like anyone else. We certainly hope we don't lose any, but even our vet prepared us for the possibility that occassionally chicks die.

I have another thread here RE: a book my vet wrote called Holistic Care for Birds. While directed at exotic bird owners, he said the same approach would be used with poultry. You can read more about it at amazon (author: McCluggage) or at my vet's website, www.wellvet.com.

Will definitely let you know about the food. Thanks for your support, Jsto!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
I'm talking about both organic and unmedicated. And I'm not using my chickens for meat, they'll just be pets and provide eggs. Nonetheless, I choose not to use medications unless necessary.

There are certainly some who have abused the organic labeling, making it difficult both for consumers and those growers actually following organic practices. While certification has helped in some regards, it's quite expensive and unrealistic for small growers. If you are fortunate enough to have a relationship with your grower and know they are following organic practices, even though they may not be able to afford the certification, you know you can trust you are purchasing pesticide- and chemical-free products. Just wish there were more of them around us!

As I have my own business which relies upon organic and chemical-free ingredients to produce my products, the subject of organic living is very important to me. And once our child came along, it was "baptism by fire", so to speak. Many people, like our child, are extremely sensitive to pesticides, artificial colorings, etc. and become progressively more ill the greater their exposure. For both my family and my business, I research our food and ingredients to find the best sources possible: those which support sustainable farming practices and practice organic and biodyanic farming where possible.

I've noticed that in most chicken feeds, the primary ingredient seems to be corn. Corn is one of the primary GMO (genetically modified) crops grown throughout the states now. There are now studies which suggest it's in part to blame for our vanishing bees, decreasing monarch butterfly populations, much less the concern regarding the long term health effects for humans who consume it.

For all of these reasons, I choose to buy organic. You're probably right that not everyone is completely honest about growing their crops organically. But I know for certain when I buy conventional that it is not organic and the corn is probably all GMO. So I've got to put my trust somewhere. In the meantime, I keep looking for local organic and biodynamic farms--farmers markets are a great resource!

I second the "earth pets organics" location... I live in Ocala, FL about 45 minutes south of Gainesville... The only way I can beat Earth Pets is to order 45 or more 50-lb bags from their supplier in VA... I can't use that much feed before it spoils...

so, I buy from them.

I would love to find organic feed for less $$$, but until I do... Earth Pets Organics will continue to be my source of Organic Chicken feed...

Blue Seal Feeds makes organic feed. If any feed stores in your area carry it you should be able to order some. We are feeding our chicks their organic chick starter.

LilyRoseDaisy, could you tell me how much you are paying? I've visited their site, but looks like I'd need to email for a quote. If you have the info (I'm in CO), I'm sure our prices would be similar to ship.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom