Organic Non GMO Wholesome Feed?

Pics
I think I know of a cheaper source for organic feed than listed above. They have only 100% USDA certified organic feeds. I personally only order a Corn Soy and Canola Free Organic Layer Feed which has 16% protein, which is all you need for layers., It is only $26 for 50lbs, which includes shipping with my group. It isn't to my door, but it is only a 20 minute drive from me. Of course shipping can be crazy, however if you order a pallet or more, which brings right down to the $26 I am paying . I only have 20 chickens, but with my group, we hit a pallet very easily every two months. Here is a link to the website.: www.phoenixorganicfeed.com

Last edited:
Nothing personal Mac but if you trust anything in the Fed. Govt. let alone the USDA, I have this beautiful bridge down the road from me...:), I think you would love to buy it from me. I have personally seen "organic" used very loosely.

Not true. The term Organic can be used quite loosely, and it especially varies from state to state. To sell just about anything "organic" in states like OR, all you need is to make a profit under a certain quota. (I believe it was 5k? or 50k?)

Organic does not mean non-GMO. In most places, it just means to not use pesticides, herbicides, etc.
The term ORGANIC doesn't even mean that. It is perfectly permitted and a common practice in "ORGANIC" agriculture to use insecticides first synthesized from natural sources and herbicides first derived or isolated from nature like Roundup. The thing is that the chemical pesticides used are the older generation of pesticides that are more dangerous to the environment and that kill pest as well as beneficial insects.

As a rule of thumb any ORGANIC fruit that looks nice has had some bad stuff used on it. The other truth is that most consumers of oh say ORGANIC apples will spaz when they find 1/2 of a worm wiggling on their half eaten ORGANIC apple.

The dirty little secret is that Roundup is used wholesale in ORGANIC farming to burn down weeds before ORGANIC crops go in the ground. Far fewer or almost no insecticides are used on GMO crops but high value ORGANIC or non GMO crops may get 10 or more applications of ORGANIC insect poison before those high value crops make it to our children's dinner plate. Bon Appetit.

It is in my opinion funny that yea old tofu has fallen so far from favor with the ORGANICS crowd. I am unsure if it was the GMO soy beans or the fact that some very bad chemicals are used as a catalyst in tofu making.

Oh well learn and live.

Last edited:
The term ORGANIC doesn't even mean that. It is perfectly permitted and a common practice in "ORGANIC" agriculture to use insecticides first synthesized from natural sources and herbicides first derived or isolated from nature like Roundup. The thing is that the chemical pesticides used are the older generation of pesticides that are more dangerous to the environment and that kill pest as well as beneficial insects.

As a rule of thumb any ORGANIC fruit that looks nice has had some bad stuff used on it. The other truth is that most consumers of oh say ORGANIC apples will spaz when they find 1/2 of a worm wiggling on their half eaten ORGANIC apple.

The dirty little secret is that Roundup is used wholesale in ORGANIC farming to burn down weeds before ORGANIC crops go in the ground. Far fewer or almost no insecticides are used on GMO crops but high value ORGANIC or non GMO crops may get 10 or more applications of ORGANIC insect poison before those high value crops make it to our children's dinner plate. Bon Appetit.

It is in my opinion funny that yea old tofu has fallen so far from favor with the ORGANICS crowd. I am unsure if it was the GMO soy beans or the fact that some very bad chemicals are used as a catalyst in tofu making.

Oh well learn and live.

Please site your proof for this. I get real tired of people not in favor of organic stuff telling stories about how bad organic really is. I am not a fan of USDA running the organic food business, but some of this stuff is just out there. You have to know your source, like anything else. If you don't like organic, then don't buy it. JMHO

If Roundup is used on a particular crop area, there must be a 36 month period before crops can be planted and certified as organic. Roundup cannot be used in an area, and then the area planted and certified immediately thereafter.

Also, the following is a list of things which can be used on crops that are certified as organic. Everyone can read and decipher for himself/herself:
http://www.omri.org/sites/default/files/opl_pdf/crops_category.pdf

It isn't practical to assume that there is absolutely no cross-contamination due to nature (pollinating insects/wind/water/whatever). Breathing the air will probably take one out quicker than eating an organic food that has been "contaminated" by some unforeseen source. -common sense.

Hi,
I am also in WI , Waupaca area or Appleton . Do you know of a place I could get about 2 ton of each soybean and corn non gmo?
Very interested in turning all my birds , turkeys and chickens, to non gmo.
Thanks
Scott [email protected]

I have been using scratch and peck feeds also. They switched their pricing I think, with the shipping being included in the feed price now, not a tacked on additional charge. It's available through Amazon also. I think the feed averages $1.4 per pound. (Is this outrageously expensive for feed?) Unfortunately, not all their products are available to be shipped, only the smaller (25#) bags of chicken feed and grit, kelp, etc. There is no retail store remotely close to me.

They will setup farm or wholesale accounts though, with a minimum order of 1 ton, and they do have non-gmo, organic soybeans and corn available, as well as oats, split peas, and barley. Which would bring the price down to roughly $.88 per pound, depending on what you really order.

I would like to be able to find something more easily available, since I only have a very small flock and can't go through 1 ton of feed quickly enough. But still everything I find has soybeans or corn in it.

I have been using scratch and peck feeds also. They switched their pricing I think, with the shipping being included in the feed price now, not a tacked on additional charge. It's available through Amazon also. I think the feed averages $1.4 per pound. (Is this outrageously expensive for feed?) Unfortunately, not all their products are available to be shipped, only the smaller (25#) bags of chicken feed and grit, kelp, etc. There is no retail store remotely close to me.

They will setup farm or wholesale accounts though, with a minimum order of 1 ton, and they do have non-gmo, organic soybeans and corn available, as well as oats, split peas, and barley. Which would bring the price down to roughly $.88 per pound, depending on what you really order.

I would like to be able to find something more easily available, since I only have a very small flock and can't go through 1 ton of feed quickly enough. But still everything I find has soybeans or corn in it.

Those non GMO - Organic raw soybeans will first need to be ground up, roasted, and the oil expelled before feeding them to your birds, otherwise they are toxic. Best keep this extra expense in mind before ordering a ton of soybeans.

Because @ $1.40 per pound, 50 lbs of this non GMO feed will set you back $70 plus any shipping, handling, tax or losses from processing, handling, and storage. This is at least 400% to 500% higher per 50 pound bag than naturally grown chicken feed. Chicken feed incidentally that hasn't been drenched in dangerous insectcides like non GMO feed likely has. The choice is your's but first find out if a ton of this feed comes in 80 neat little 25# bags or it this price is only good for bulk delivery to your grain silo. Speaking of silos you better figure in the propane gas fuel that you will need to maintain the correct water content in your stored grain.

Last edited:
Those non GMO - Organic raw soybeans will first need to be ground up, roasted, and the oil expelled before feeding them to your birds, otherwise they are toxic. Best keep this extra expense in mind before ordering a ton of soybeans.

Because @ $1.40 per pound, 50 lbs of this non GMO feed will set you back $70 plus any shipping, handling, tax or losses from storage. This is at least 400% to 500% higher per 50 pound bag than natural chicken feed. Chicken feed incidentally that hasn't been drenched in dangerous insectcides like non GMO feed likely has. The choice is your's.

I would hope Scott would already know that about the soybeans, and my apologies, but scratch and peck doesn't offer soy, only corn and other grains. I don't use soy (or corn), ever, so I wasn't looking. http://www.scratchandpeck.com/product-category/organic-grains/

And as I already said, the $1.40 per pound includes shipping and any fees or taxes. That FREE SHIPPING arrives to me in 2 days. The bag I opened this week was milled 4 days before it was shipped to me. And they are organic and non-gmo, so, I'm not sure where you are getting info that it is drenched in insecticides.

Maybe you should read the other posts on this thread, read my previous post more clearly, and read up on the company before you start making assumptions.

Back
Top Bottom