Organizatons interested in new muscovy reg?

Parrotchick

Songster
10 Years
Nov 13, 2009
Boonsboro MD
To be extremely brief, I got the ear of somebody at FWS who is open to and able to affect the new regs about the Muscovies. I'm just a newbie with a few chickens and ducks who has taken a strong interest in this, so I don't know what organizatons are out there to contact, but I know they exist. All I know is the APA.

If this is organized, sensible and thought out, not knee-jerk emotional, there is a very good chance of getting these regulations tweaked to favorably include many of our interests. Any suggestions of real and respected organizations who might be willng to speak with FWS or write letters or provide information or statistics?

I also posted this in the Ducks section

Thanks!

Here is a link to the reg:

http://www.fws.gov/migratorybirds/Regul … 202010.pdf

There's also a long discussion on here on Laws & Ordinances. It's a couple down from the top. I can't get my link to work.

While it initially sounds like a case of the government going nutso, I've got some ins at FWS and it wasn't like that at all. They typically deal with true wildlife, not borderline domestic/livestock animals, so this is a very unusual case for them (Muscovies had to fall under their jurisdicton o)nce natives naturally moved into the US, ie not brought over. Long story, related to the Migratory Bird Treat Act) They weren't given comment by people like us, nor did they even know we existed, being that true wldlife is their thing. They acted according to their information, mainly that the feral ducks are a problem. But they tried to take into consideration enterprises that raise muscovies for meat, like providers to restaurants, to mitigate economic hardship.

We have a chance to be heard and make a difference. I gave the point of view of the backyard folks and I think that was well heard and understood and appreciated. I'm just tryng to get an organzed presentation from folks more "in the know". We don't need to go with torches and pitchforks.

Quote:
This is literally a threat to the entire hobby! Muscovies today, backyard chickens tomorrow?

SAVE THE MUSCOVIES

Last edited by a moderator:
Any suggestions of real and respected organizations who might be willng to speak with FWS or write letters or provide information or statistics?

First off, thanks for posting this.
smile.png

Second, could you clarify, for me at least, what it is... kind of info., that the FWS is looking for? Are they needing stats on how many "hobbiest" this ruling may affect, Economic impact on those who derive a living off of breeding/selling Scovies, studies on Muscovy sustainability across the U.S. without human assistance by way of shelter, food & protection ? ?? ? Thanks!​

I think any information that Keeperofthehearth mentioned would be helpful as FWS is just not in possession of that sort of data now, and sound facts can always bolster a case. The comments they got during the comment period seem to be a lot of anecdotal complaints about feral populations. Some local or statewide agencies, like DNR's that FWS regularly works with anyway, also chimed in with their information of the feral populations that may have been more fact driven. So unfortunately the upshot is that most of the outside informaton FWS received was from entities that were generally anti-muscovy.

Muscovies only recently became the jurisdiction of FWS; before that they were the concern of local or state authorities. This is because under the MBTA (Migratory Bird Treaty Act) there are now native populations of muscovies (as opposed to populations that were transported here at some time) that have moved up from Mexico into those three counties in Texas. If Amazon parrots naturally inch up here in the next 100 years and establish colonies, they'll fall under the act then too.

Here are a few points of semantics I'll put in here that have caused confusion:
"Migratory" bird does not necessarily mean a bird that travels x distance between seasons, etc. It's kind of a catchall.
"Protection" means stewardship and awareness of said species, not necessarily protected from individual harm by man or nature.

What's unusual for this case for the FWS is that they are used to dealing with straight up wildlife, not ducks that are somewhat domesticated or considered livestock by many. So they came at the situation from a differnt angle, that of invasive species. I am very glad that they are open to reviewing and revising, rather than slamming the door in our faces.

The American Poultry Association and The International Waterfowl Breeders Association should be heading the front to get this regualtion amended. Additionally, a number of hatcheries that sell duck eggs and/or ducklings should be interested. Addressing feral populations is and should be within the purvue of the Fish and Wildlife Serivce. Addressing domestic populations should absolutely not be their issue. There are many different areas of the country that have different issues with invasive species. What is an invasive in one place is not necessarily in another. Regulate release into the wild in areas where they are invasive, not maintaining them in home flocks.

Back
Top Bottom