Origins of fermented feed

I've read numerous articles on the subject. There are numerous threads on that topic on this site. All I do is add water to crumble, pellets or mash and stir well. Add more water until it's soupy then let it ferment for 3 days, stirring daily.
Pour out 1/2 to 3/4 of the fermented feed and add enough dry to the feed container to get a good consistency and feed it.
Add more dry and more water to the ferment container give it a good stir and let it keep going.
Repeat.
I've had the same container going for over 2 years.

I've read numerous articles on the subject. There are numerous threads on that topic on this site. All I do is add water to crumble, pellets or mash and stir well. Add more water until it's soupy then let it ferment for 3 days, stirring daily.
Pour out 1/2 to 3/4 of the fermented feed and add enough dry to the feed container to get a good consistency and feed it.
Add more dry and more water to the ferment container give it a good stir and let it keep going.
Repeat.
I've had the same container going for over 2 years.
Kind of like sourdough. This is the first explanation of fermented feed that has made me want to try it. I usually just wet down the fines into a mash. I only fermented once but didn't realize I should reserve some of the "start" to keep it going. Very interesting

OK, Fermenting is as old as the written word, likely older. Modern science has given us formulas, reliable guideposts to replace experience. The studies give you lots of answers for the same reason that there are lots of beers, lots of pickles, and lots of yogurts - and generally, your beer doesn't taste like your pickles doesn't tast like your yogurt doesn't taste like your beer. Because the results of your fermenting depend both on the cuture you use to do the ferment, and the material (grain, milk, veg, etc) that is being fermented.

You absolutely CAN start your ferment of your chick feed with your sourdough culture. and you can do it at room temp. Refrigeration greatly retards (but does not stop) the process. Depending on your native temps humidity, volumes involved, you should be able to get a good batch of fermented feed made in 2-5 days, typically. Mid Summer, I can ferment a batch in less than 24 hours - but most of the country doesn't "enjoy" 80%+ humidity and temps from 76 to 94 as the high and low, day after day, week after week. At those temps, with well water (no chlorine), the process is quite rapid with a good starter.

I know that's not a simple answer, but I hope its a useful one.

Back
Top Bottom