Origins of fermented feed

I've read numerous articles on the subject. There are numerous threads on that topic on this site. All I do is add water to crumble, pellets or mash and stir well. Add more water until it's soupy then let it ferment for 3 days, stirring daily.
Pour out 1/2 to 3/4 of the fermented feed and add enough dry to the feed container to get a good consistency and feed it.
Add more dry and more water to the ferment container give it a good stir and let it keep going.
Repeat.
I've had the same container going for over 2 years.

I've read numerous articles on the subject. There are numerous threads on that topic on this site. All I do is add water to crumble, pellets or mash and stir well. Add more water until it's soupy then let it ferment for 3 days, stirring daily.
Pour out 1/2 to 3/4 of the fermented feed and add enough dry to the feed container to get a good consistency and feed it.
Add more dry and more water to the ferment container give it a good stir and let it keep going.
Repeat.
I've had the same container going for over 2 years.
Kind of like sourdough. This is the first explanation of fermented feed that has made me want to try it. I usually just wet down the fines into a mash. I only fermented once but didn't realize I should reserve some of the "start" to keep it going. Very interesting

The process most people use here is identical to making a home sourdough culture from scratch. You can jumpstart the process if you already have a Sourdough culture going at home and just use starter for each batch of fermented feed. Fermenting feed is the best known way to greatly reduce mycotoxins in grain at home, besides the other health benefits it provides. Here is an article https://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1160&context=foodsciefacpub

Back
Top Bottom