Orloff with Attitude

WallyBirdie

Crowing
Aug 2, 2019
My Russian Orloff (affectionately named The Russian) was always a chubby little spitfire. At two and three inches tall, she was the boss of all her flockmates, dominating the brooder and hogging the food.
She had this little thing she did, where she'd jump up and use her feet to kick and scratch when she felt the others were in her way.
She's grown up (5 months old) to be a lovely lady, but now and then, something gets her riled up and she does it again- with her tall/lean stature, it makes her look a little primal.
I recently had the young turkens out in a large crate (can't properly free range them yet due to their small size and potential predators), and The Russian flocked over and started jumping and kicking at the crate.

This behavior does happen all the time, and there has never been any resulting injury.
Should I be concerned?
Is this a behavior Orloffs are known for, or does it depend on the individual chicken?

Are there words for this behavior?

Thing is, it was cute when she was 3 inches tall. It's not so cute now that she could be a beast if she wanted.

She is not people-aggressive, so that is not a concern.

I have never seen this behavior before. Can you post a video of it? I'm not sure it's any worse than pecking. Dominant chickens have their ways of letting everyone else know to get out of their way.
The only video I have from when she was in the brooder. Quality isn't great but you can clearly see what she does.
It's a rare occurrence, so I don't have updated videos.

How can I upload a video on this site? I haven't figured that out. And I don't have a YouTube account to post there.

The only video I have from when she was in the brooder. Quality isn't great but you can clearly see what she does.
It's a rare occurrence, so I don't have updated videos.

How can I upload a video on this site? I haven't figured that out. And I don't have a YouTube account to post there.
I don't think the video function here works. A Youtube account is free. It might be the only way you can get a video on here.

I don't think the video function here works. A Youtube account is free. It might be the only way you can get a video on here.
I have posted a short video of her doing it as a chick. Thing is, she's a lot bigger now and still does it on occasion. Maybe it is like pecking?

What she was doing there as a chick looked sorta like her attempt at scratching for food
I have a video of her scratching for food too! It think it looks different. There's no jumping.
I wish I had my camera/phone today when she jumped and scratched at the crate. Maybe next time. It's always surprising. She stands tall and jumps/kicks/scratches.

Back
Top Bottom