orphaned mallard eggs

nanfun

Hatching
May 24, 2015
Hello! I came to this site for advise on some orphaned mallard eggs I have in my care. Frankly, I'm a bit jealous of you all because living in an apartment, I can't have any "backyard" chickens-- or backyard anything for that matter ! :-( Regardless, you obviously know your stuff.

I have so manyquestions!

Turkenstein25pizapw1421684361.jpg

Hi!

Momma duck nested in the small patch of "yard" outside my job. I work in Distribution so it's basically a huge warehouse surrounded by other huge warehouses with semi trailers coming and going all day. Not surprisingly, momma duck disappeared after the landscapers did their weekly thing. Noboday saw her for a couple days so we figured we would give it a couple more days, but spotted a dead female near the entrance to our driveway. We all assumed it was momma. My coworker said the eggs wouldn't be viable after that much time so I took them home, figured out how to candle, and have them in a large cooler, with a light for heat and a cup of water for humidity. I know that if they hatch in my care, I'll have to see them thru until they can fly. I have a nice big pond outside my door but it's filled with snapping turtles.

my problem is...I don't know exactly when she laid them. I know most of them are alive, but because im not 100% certain what day they were laid, Im not sure when to stop turning them. A coworker has guesstimated that it was around May 7th. Should I leave them alone now so they can "pip"? I'm doing as much research as possible but there is so much uncertainty because this is a wild batch of eggs. I would like to let them go eventually.

Im keeping it between 99 and 101...to the best of my knowledge. I'm just using a typical glass thermometer laid across the eggs. I don't have a way to measure the humidity. When I see the eggs "perspire" too much I wedge the top of the cooler a bit wider open for a little circulation . If too dry, i dampen a towel and lay it over the eggs for a bit. Im doing my best to mimic momma duck....but Ive read a lot of conflicting opinions on the net.

Back
Top Bottom