Orpington Thread

You are going to see a Large...Heavy,... Fluffy bird bird with a a deep chest that blends well into the body... fuller skirt of feathers ... Their Tail sets are higher.. They resemble a teapot to me :)

BIG .... Beautiful..... Fluffy.... Smart birds that will steal your heart :) The hens remind me of ladies all dressed up in big southern bell style dresses ")
They sound nice! Do you know of anywhere in particular in this country to get them?

What are characteristics to look for when trying to sex my 4 week old orpingtons?

well.. comb size, thickness of legs, Honestly.. the boys will just look tough.. and robust looking.. They will act different too.. You can't rely on just one thing to sex them ... it is a combination of things... It will take and experience for you to feel comfortable picking out the boys from the girls.

I got some from Bama crossed those with some American ... Culled..... then got some from Joy to bred back in. The birds I have now.. are of my own doing :)

Last edited:
Here's a picture of our first bluexblue orpington pullet (?), born 03/04. Since we are new to this I'm believing that she's a splash but she does not present any other color than the white/grey. She also has a split feather which I do not like. Does this correct itself when she goes through a molt? All critiques are welcome.

These are Black Orpingtons (100% English) that my husband bought on an online auction. They were born 03/11. I'm trying to identify sexes. Also any critiques are welcome. We only want to keep the best so if you see anything glaringly wrong please speak up!!!

Pullet

Pullet

Cockerel (L) Pullet (R)

Cockerel

Cockerel

Pullet

Cockerel

Back
Top Bottom