Orpington Thread

Mine are like this too (7-9 weeks). The splash feathered in first. waaaaay before the blues and the lone black (and he's clearly a cockerel and just the ugliest little Skeksis you've ever seen right now).

Oh how funny! I know what you mean about ugly though-- half my chicks are just the homeliest lil things and I don't want to share pics in case someone asks why they're half-bald! lol

On your signature I see it says you own Mastiffs!
In addition to being a card carrying member of the Crazy Chicken Lady club, I'm also a crazy dog lady! I currently own 2 Bullmastiffs, one of which has his own Facebook page. They are very protective of the chickens and help care for the chicks almost as well as a mother hen :)

On your signature I see it says you own Mastiffs!
In addition to being a card carrying member of the Crazy Chicken Lady club, I'm also a crazy dog lady! I currently own 2 Bullmastiffs, one of which has his own Facebook page. They are very protective of the chickens and help care for the chicks almost as well as a mother hen :)

Yep. I have a boy, BFF and my sister both have girls from the same litter. So far, he's afraid of the chicks, LOL! We'll see how that goes once they're loose in the run ... There seem to be quite a few Mastiffs of one type or another lurking on the forum, esp the Orp threads. Turns out two of the people on the Imported English Orp thread also have them (OEs and Dogue de Bordeaux)

I love all the pictures here thank you all for sharing, I adore Opringtons. I have 4 Lavender Orps 1 is a rooster and he is such a sweet heart. He has been fighting with my older hens but not all the time and he is trying to mate with them. LOL they aren't letting him get to far with that. I want to know if anyone could tell me if he will stay the same personality wise or will he change in the spring when the breeding season is here? It's awful cold now but my 10 year old daughter really likes to pick him up a lot and he seems content to let her at the moment. Are there warning signs that he could hurt her? Or is about to ? Thank you.

I got my first batch of chicks last April and I had one buff orp. She died before she was 2 weeks old. When my chicks were 3 months old I got 4 Lavender Orpingtons that were 8 weeks old. I have loved them since they are sweet but shy and tend to stick near the rooster. It has been a pleasure watching the Lav. ladies find their own place within my existing flock. And they learned really quick to come when called if they wanted a treat. Now they follow me around with the rest of my ladies.

Anyone up for guessing Cockeral or Pullet?
My English Orp chicks are 9wks old tomorrow and my Lavenders and Blacks are clearly distinguishable, but my Jubilees are giving me some trouble. Or maybe I'm just in denial and don't want to admit I have any cockerals! ;)
These are from Papa's Poultry, Gisbrechts line.

Gemma:
pullet?

Philippa:
cockeral?

Georgiana:
cockeral?

Anyone up for guessing Cockeral or Pullet?
My English Orp chicks are 9wks old tomorrow and my Lavenders and Blacks are clearly distinguishable, but my Jubilees are giving me some trouble. Or maybe I'm just in denial and don't want to admit I have any cockerals! ;)
These are from Papa's Poultry, Gisbrechts line.

I agree with your guesses. Pullet and then two cockerels. Mine are 10-11 weeks and the wattles are a pretty clear sign. Also the tail shapes. Stubby/square seems to = cockerel, pointy/fluffy is a pullet.

Last edited:
Anyone up for guessing Cockeral or Pullet? My English Orp chicks are 9wks old tomorrow and my Lavenders and Blacks are clearly distinguishable, but my Jubilees are giving me some trouble. Or maybe I'm just in denial and don't want to admit I have any cockerals! ;) These are from Papa's Poultry, Gisbrechts line. Gemma: pullet? Philippa: cockeral? Georgiana: cockeral?
Arg Don't know what I just did but anyway I think your right on all of them

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom